The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

RIP - Mike Ross

Fenster

"O a'u o le ULU Matai"
Concierge
Wasn't sure were to put this but I think the Barbershop is the appropriate place.

So my long time Barber passed away yesterday. I know that none of you knew him but he was a very special guy to many people. Mike was 92 or 93 and still had his shop open until just a couple years ago. Even after his shop closed he continued to cut hair 1 or 2 days a week at a local private club that he had worked at for years. Mike started working in a barber shop in 1941 when he was 12. He worked as a shoe shine boy first then did his apprenticeship before going for his test and getting his license. In his early days he apprenticed under my wife's Grandfather. As you can imagine, having spent 80 years in a barber shop, Mike had a lot of stories and was always quick with a joke or two. My favorite times were when it was just he and I in the shop and I was able to pick his brain about straight razors or town history or family stories. At the end his eyes were so bad that he could no longer drive, but he could still somehow give a dam fine haircut, lol.

Not only was Mike my barber, but I knew him outside the shop too. We were at many family dinners together as his sister is my wife's Aunt. He also lived just up the street from me, about 1/4 mile away so we saw each other often. He will be missed but not forgotten.

Here is Mike cutting his brother in laws (my wife's uncle) hair.
52cae28177f39.image_kindlephoto-252420045.jpg

Excerpts from his Obituary -

Michael A. Ross, 93, of 47 Lafayette Ave., Lewis Run, passed away Friday (Nov. 26, 2021) at the Bradford Manor.
Born Sept. 14, 1928, in Lewis Run, he was the son of the late Peter J. and Sandina Fair Ross.
On Oct. 16, 1948, Michael married Mary Lou Pytcher Ross, in the rectory of Our Mother of Perpetual Help, Custer City.
Married 73 years.
Michael's barber career spanned 80 years, all in Bradford. He apprenticed under Libby Zannelli and Earl Butler
(my wifes Grandfather), then started cutting hair in 1941.
He owned and operated Mike's Barber Shop for 49 years.
He began work at the Bradford Club in 1965 and cut hair there until just a month ago. Mike had the pleasure of cutting hair for generations of families.
Michael was a 1946 graduate of Bradford High School where he excelled in baseball and football. He served the Pennsylvania National Guard in 1946 and was honorably discharged in 1948.
Mike was a life member of Our Mother of Perpetual Help Church, the Knights of Columbus Council #403, and the Bradford Masonic Lodge # 749 F&AM, the Coudersport Consistory, Zem Zem Temple in Erie and the Orak Gratto.

Awesome Tribute Gerry, and sorry for your loss. This is what Barbering is "SUPPOSED" to be about, clients become family and it becomes generational. Too bad only a few of us left with that attitude, Again wonderful story and tribute!

Back