The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

RIP Franco Harris

HOF running back Franco Harris died yesterday, just four days before he was to be honored by celebrating the Immaculate Reception, and having his number retired. He was a fixture in the community for over 50 years, very active in local affairs. Sad days in Pittsburgh.

There is residual sadness around town over the death of Franco. What should have been an exuberant celebration over his most famous play will instead be a sober, mournful event. Since moving here in the fall of 1979, I have run into him four times: twice just in passing where we nodded to each other, once when I was an undergrad and he came to the college (small Catholic school), and once in the hospital when he was promoting his (and fellow Penn Stater and HOFer Lenny Moore's) line of nutritional doughnuts. I have never heard a bad word spoken of him, and yesterday and today people around town have been sharing many unknown stories of what he has done here. Big loss for his family, and for the region.

Back