The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

"Ring Razor"

fhalden

"Like BarberDave… I make my own fun”
This came up in an ad on my Instagram feed this morning. It takes a DE blade the best I can tell and is a sort of shavette. Anybody used this?
487ec2a55ba54cd1b14837c5d477d489.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

lol it looks like someone wanted a Tacti-cool razor. Never seen it before though.

I'd use that thing, but I wouldn't buy one. Looks like it would just be awkward to hold without the folding scales. I didn't like shaving with a kamisori for that reason.

That design was originally for barber use for shaping and possibly cutting hair. I've seen them marketed for self shaving, but not sure how comfy it'd be to use that,
I found it interesting that in the video, one never sees someone shaving themselves.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You can get these as cheap as $5 shipped from china off eBay. The biggest problem is that they are half DE shavettes...... which are my least favorite shavettes.

I like his facial hair, but how does one decide they would look better shaving off the mustache portion of a goatee?

I have one and a folding version that is much closer in ergonomic design to a typical shavette, both are pretty cool looking and feel good but OMG are you in for a rude awakening when they turn on you. Although marketed as a straight razor proxy, they are clearly meant to be used by barbers for sideburns and neck line clean up. They are too flat (no spine) to allow you to easily find a proper angle so you MUST be awake and diligent to keep the angle proper. Don’t get me wrong, you can definitely shave with them and with a little practice get good at it. You WILL get bit and you will find you get bit in the same places every time unless you adjust your technique. I will NEVER shave will one again...just not going to do it to myself anymore. Not when I can injure my pretty face with other crazy contraptions. BUT I definitely encourage others to give it a few tries, and if possible catch it on video. They don’t cost a lot and you can always use it to clean up your sideburns and neck, remove unwanted growths, layers of skin, add cool scars and that kind of stuff.

Back