The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Review: Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus

Dagwoodz

TSC's Movie Star
Veteran
Legacy
Many of you have seen this soap maker pop up in a couple of the other members’ journals and Shave of the Days. It’s gotten good enough reviews to intrigue me, so I went ahead and made a purchase from them. Soapy Science is a small operation running out of north Georgia by a 13 year old and her Dad. This started out as a science project and has just grown. The kicker is that 10% of every purchase goes to charity (The Justice Run as well as Zion Family Ministries). For less than $20 you get 5oz. of soap, so your cost is less than $4.00 an oz, making this a decent value. Packaging is nice, though a bit on the basic side, which is perfectly ok. The labels are waterproof, which is a huge positive for me. Ingredients and the scent are noted on the bottom of the container. I would prefer they be listed on the top label, but as far as packaging is concerned, that’s really the only true gripe I have. From the looks of it, they are coming out with a couple new scents here shortly that have different looking labels with the scent clearly on top.

The scent of Lollipop citrus brings me back to my childhood and going to my aunt’s hair salon. I would always raid the lollipop jar, where they kept it perpetually full of Dum Dum branded pops…this smells just like a mix of the lemon/lime flavors. Strength off of the tub is about a 1.5-2/5, so on the weaker side.

Ingredient wise, there is a ton of skin food in this soap. Numerous butters and oils, as well as Lanolin and Aloe Vera pretty much assure you that your skin will be thanking you after the shave. It’s a harder soap as well, very similar in consistency to Barrister & Mann’s Glissant base.

Ingredients: Tallow, stearic acid, water, castor oil, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, mango butter, shea butter (refined), kokum butter, avocado oil, glycerin, sweet almond oil, apricot kernel oil, coconut oil, lanolin, sodium lactate, aloe vera juice, allantoin, essential oils for fragrance

The soap takes a tiny bit longer to load than I’m used to, but once it does I was able to develop a beautiful, shiny lather in the bowl. I thought it was ready to go, but once I got it on my face I could tell it was a tad on the dry side of the house, so face lathered a bit more to add some water. The result was a lather that had decent cushion, very good slickness and residual slickness, and the post shave feel was wonderful. Stability of the lather was pretty good too, as 30 minutes after the shave, the left over lather in the bowl hadn’t really broken down at all. Strength of scent increased when it was lathered to around a 3/5, which is perfect for this particular scent. Any stronger, and it would begin to get cloying to my nose.

Here are the scores, granted only after one use/lather. These scores will most likely increase or become more refined with further uses of this soap. (as always, strength of scent and preference aren’t included since they’re so subjective):

Lathering: 8/10
Cushion: 8/10
Slickness: 9.5/10
Moisturizing: 9/10
Residual Slickness: 9.5/10
Stability: 5/5

Total: 49/55

Comparable soap bases from a performance standpoint:

WSP Formula T (51/50)
Saponificio Varesino beta 4.3 (50/55)
Fine Accoutrements (49/55)
Wholly Kaw (regular Tallow) (49/55)
Barrister & Mann Glissant (49/55)
Stirling Soaps (48/55)
Long Rifle Soaps (48/55)

Conclusion: First, I want to thank Randall (Kingfisher) for bringing this soap to our attention. This really is a wonderful soap, and the fact that a portion of the proceeds from sales go towards charity makes it even better. Another unique feature of this artisan is that it’s a 13 year old and her Dad…which tells me that this product is going to do nothing but get better with time. With the soap base sitting right in between Stirling and SV beta 4.3, it’s in very good company…equal to highly touted soap bases such as Barrister & Mann Glissant, Fine Accoutrements as well as Wholly Kaw’s regular tallow base. With a good value to performance ratio like this, I feel comfortable recommending this soap to anyone looking for a new soap to add to the stash.

https://youtu.be/nzeU9hoGySk

Geez based off the fact its a father daughter duo I feel obligated to order a tub now.

Back