The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Review: Mystic Water Sandalwood Rose

Dagwoodz

TSC's Movie Star
Veteran
Legacy
After finding my faith with Mystic Water, I went back to the soap again, this time in the Sandalwood Rose scent. Out of the tub, this is a nice woody rose scent, with the sandalwood playing second fiddle. However, that changes once bloomed. The sandalwood comes to the fore, and the rose plays a very subtle supporting role. Quite interesting, and honestly very pleasing. Strength of scent in the tub, dry, is about a 2/5. Once bloomed, it might be right at middle of the road, 2.5/5. Ingredients are the same as the other two soaps I’ve recently tried:

Tallow, stearic acid, unrefined shea butter, sustainably sourced organic palm oil, avocado oil, aloe vera, bentonite clay, lanolin, silk protein, allantoin, and extra glycerin

Using a RazoRock 400 24mm synthetic, and after a 20 second load, I was able to develop a very shiny lather. How was I unable to lather this soap before? It seems like a bad memory at this point, which I’m fine with. Upon application, while you’re working it into your face, the scent strength blooms to a 3/5, but once you’re done, it seemingly all but disappears. Now, I say that, but I was searching for the sandalwood scent that came to the front while lathering the soap, and really only caught brief whiffs of it once it was on the face. It wasn’t until further on in the shave that I realized that the rose had come back to the front and was taking center stage, albeit pretty weakly. Strength of scent once its sitting on your face is maybe a 1.5/5, and that’s being generous. Performance wise, I was able to coax a wonderful lather out of the soap. This far out performed previous MW lathers, so I’m revising my scores below.

Here are the scores (as always, strength of scent and preference aren’t included since they’re so subjective) Changes are in red font:

Lathering: 8/10
Cushion: 8.5/10
Slickness: 9/10
Moisturizing: 10/10
Residual Slickness: 9/10
Stability: 5/5

Total: 49.5/55 (previous score of 47/55)

Comparable soap bases from a performance standpoint:

WSP Formula T (51/55)
Martin de Candre (51/55)
Saponificio Varesino beta 4.3 (50/55)
Fine Accoutrements (49/50)
Barrister & Mann Glissant (49/55)
Oleo Soapworks Canard base (48.5/55)
Stirling Soaps (48/55)
Long Rifle Soaps (48/55)

Conclusion: Mystic Water continues to impress as I continue to learn to properly lather it. As stated, my early attempts at using this soap resulted in the David Copperfield lather, and that was as a direct consequence of not taking enough time and care to get the water/soap/air ratio in the soap correct. The updated scores put it in the class of some very strong soap bases, including Saponificio Varesino beta 4.3, B&M Glissant, and a little short of WSP formula T and MdC. All in all, these were a very good addition to the den, and I may (read: probably will) add some more of Michelle’s soaps to the den in the future. My only complaint with Sandalwood Rose was the strength of scent once the lather was on the face. With that being said, both sandalwood and rose are rather delicate scents that can dissipate quickly, and both can become rather cloying if too much is used, so it’s a careful line that has to be walked when adding scent. All in all, it was a great lather that provided great slickness for the shave, and the improved scores show as much.

https://youtu.be/imuoMXxwFdQ

Lol David Copperfield lather!

Good thoughts Josh. Sounds like a strong sandalwood contender overall. Interesting that the rose would overpower the wood in scent occasionally, I’d have thought they were pretty evenly matched scents in their natural forms.

Back