The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Review: Mystic Water Bergamot, Cedar & Juniper

Dagwoodz

TSC's Movie Star
Veteran
Legacy
When I first tried Mystic Water back in 2016, I was devastated that I couldn’t get the lather right. I absolutely loved the scents, but the lather was about the least stable in my entire den. So it got put up…I hated myself for hating the lather. But up to that point, I just couldn’t get it to work for me without disappearing. Up until this month…when I tried the Coconut Sandalwood again and scored a big fat win as far as the lather goes. VICTORY!

Following my success with Mystic Water lather, I went ahead and ordered a few more soaps from Michelle that I had my eye on previously. There are still a couple that I’m probably going to pull the trigger on in the future, but for now I’m pretty satiated. Mystic Water is based out of Maryland, and Michelle, the artisan, has been in the soap making biz for the better part of two decades. She is relatively new to the shave soap scene, (maybe about 6-8 years), and within the recent past changed her recipe to work with hard water. This is the first of this new purchases, the Bergamot, Cedar & Juniper. The title of the soap says it all in regards to the scent of this soap. I can definitely pick out all three of these notes, and they blend together to give a beautiful, tangy woody feel to the scent. Of course, just like anything with juniper in it, it can also bring up memories of a gin and tonic or martini; just something to be aware of. Strength of scent out of the tub is on the strong side of mild, I would say 2/5, and it stays around there through the whole shave, though the juniper and cedar really do overpower the bergamot throughout the shave.

Tallow, stearic acid, unrefined shea butter, sustainably sourced organic palm oil, avocado oil, aloe vera, bentonite clay, lanolin, silk protein, allantoin, and extra glycerin

From a shaving standpoint, this soap “ain’t half bad”. Aside from the bit of work it takes to get the lather correct, the slickness is up there with some of the best due to the bentonite clay. Residual slickness and cushion, at least in these past two shaves with MW, were a little lacking for where the rest of the qualities are. I’m sure with continued use, I could improve both of these qualities by playing with the lather some more, but so little time and so many soaps to try! As stated above, strength of scent once lathered stayed at about a 2/5. The soap is pretty darned stable too. Post-shave, I let the lather bowl sit for 30 minutes post shave, and the lather looked like I had just whipped it up. Good stuff! Post shave is where this soap shines, however. This is as good as the Declaration Grooming Project Icarus soap. All in all, a very good soap and it sits solidly at tier 2 box 4, using Chad’s old chart.

Here are the scores (as always, strength of scent and preference aren’t included since they’re so subjective):

Lathering: 7/10
Cushion: 8/10
Slickness: 9/10
Moisturizing: 10/10
Residual Slickness: 8/10
Stability: 5/5

Total: 47/55

Comparable soap bases from a performance standpoint:

Stirling Soaps (48/55)
Long Rifle Soaps (48/55)
Saponificio Varesino beta 4.2 (47/55)
Chiseled Face Groomatorium (47/55)
Victory Shave Company (47/55)
Mike’s Natural Soaps (46/55)
Soap Commander (46/55)

Conclusion: I’m very pleased with these soaps, once I got the lather correct. The best advice I can give anyone who is looking to invest in some Mystic Water to take your time loading, adding water and whipping. It’s worth the time to get the lather where it needs to be. Don’t get turned off by the stringy nature of the proto-lather, either. Keep loading and you’ll be rewarded with a beautiful shiny lather that will give a great shave. From a value standpoint, Michelle is just a little more expensive per oz. than Stirling, $14.15 for a 4 oz. puck and tub, ($3.54 per oz) while Stirling still sits as king of value at $13 for 6 oz., ($2.17 per oz). Even if it falls short of Stirling’s high bar for value, it is still under $4 per oz., the mark where I consider artisans start to get a little on the expensive side. If you already have a container for the soap, refills without the tub drive the cost per oz down to under $3/oz, so that’s always an option. All in all, a very good soap, with plenty of scents to please everyone and very good performance to value worth checking out if you haven’t already.
https://youtu.be/8CX_ei4cS68

Great review Josh...though I am a little disappointed in you overall grade of the soap. But I think you are honest and spot on. I bet you can dial it in a bit more and that grade just might go up a little. Michelle also sells most of her soaps in shave sticks. Face lathering with Mystic Water is where it is at. Not sure if you face lathered or bowl lathered...but try a face lather and see how it performs! The scent is something I am very interested...I might have to pick up a tub of it...but Michelle has so many awesome scents...how can anyone choose!

Great review Josh...though I am a little disappointed in you overall grade of the soap. But I think you are honest and spot on. I bet you can dial it in a bit more and that grade just might go up a little. Michelle also sells most of her soaps in shave sticks. Face lathering with Mystic Water is where it is at. Not sure if you face lathered or bowl lathered...but try a face lather and see how it performs! The scent is something I am very interested...I might have to pick up a tub of it...but Michelle has so many awesome scents...how can anyone choose!

Thanks Don...I bowl lathered this, but might try face lathering in the future. IRT shave sticks, I personally can't stand them....they just don't work well with my skin, so any time I get a shave stick I end up milling it into a container so I can load the brush up directly.

Wait, it's February 2nd there (groundhog day)? I knew you were in a different time zone, but you are operating on a totally different calendar?!?!? LOL

Mystic Water is my absolute favorite soap. If you've ever seen the lathering tutorial videos on her site, that's me. I made those in response to everyone having issues lathering her soaps when they first came on the market. I have never had an issue with them. She sent me samples when I was in Afghanistan, and they have been my favorite ever since. The post shave cannot be beat. As you noted, she changed here formula in response to all of the complaints to make the soaps easier to lather in harder water. Ironically, her old formula works better for me.

This scent sounds really good, and is one that I have not tried. She actually has a lot of newer scents that I haven't tried yet. I need to get them, even though I probably have 2 lifetimes of MW soap in my den as it stands, lol. Mainly because when she changed her formula, I bought out most of her old stock. I loved it that much!

I gotta echo Don and KJ. Mystic is my favorite soap. The slickness and protection is excellent, one of if not the best post shave feels on the market, and topped with great scents.
The only slight downside I find with it is that you have a pretty small water window. It's not as forgiving to over-hydrating like other soaps are. Once you get it though, the pros definitely outweigh that one little flaw. Load it until it is sticky and stringy, then add just a few drops of water and you should be good to go.

Back