The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Review: Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations Gentleman's Lavender

Dagwoodz

TSC's Movie Star
Veteran
Legacy
I’ve had a couple of Lisa’s soaps for a while now, in the premium base with Coconut Oud and the regular base in Somali Rose. They’re both great performers, with the premium line slightly edging out the regular base for me. Both lather very easily and have great scents. I had been looking at the Gentleman’s Lavender scent for a while now and when I saw that Lisa had become the first vendor here on TSC, I knew it was time to order.

First, let’s talk about packaging and price. A tub of this soap costs just under $9.00, and you get a nice 3.5 oz. of soap. That translates to a great value of ~$2.55oz., almost competing with Stirling Soaps for value on the dollar. The container it comes in is a fairly simple, deep yet narrow opening tub. The label on the top includes her logo, type of soap, ingredient list, and soap scent. It’s quite busy, but works. The label is not waterproof, and the tub does not have a side label for those who stack their soaps.

Speaking of ingredients, this is her regular line of shaving soap, which is being reformulated at this time along with the Premium line. The ingredients used for this soap are:

Green tea & calendula infusion, Saponified stearic acid, beef tallow, coconut oil, castor oil, glycerin, lanolin, mango butter, sodium lactate, bentonite clay, Kaolin and or Iolite Clay, Essential oil and or fragrance oil, silk peptides

I will say that I made a mistake when I talked about the scent. There is much more going on in this than I realized. It’s far from “just lavender”. Here are the scent notes below:

lavender, clary sage, orange, patchouli, cedarwood and litsea cubeba (mag chang)

Off of the tub, the scent is about medium, maybe just on the weaker side at a 2/5. It does bloom a little once lathered up to about a 2.5/5, but not much more. The lavender is first and foremost amongst all the other fragrance notes in this soap. There is no mistaking it. The other scent notes play a nice supporting role, with no one scent really taking center stage at any point. It is very reminiscent of Fine Accoutrements Lavender Pour Homme, which itself is an homage to Czech & Speake’s classic scent Cambridge and Oxford. The scent does stay around for the entire shave. I didn’t notice any degredation in the strength as the shave progressed.

As far as performance, this soap excels in its cushion. It’s as good as it gets. Slickness and moisturizing properties are above average, but not elite level. Residual slickness is good, but could be much better…I went back after testing it in the video and got much different results. It just will depend on the consistency of the lather when you’re using it. The soap is extremely stable once lathered, there should be zero issues for anyone with this soap not keeping together. It is a little challenging loading the brush directly from the tub due to the small opening, but the soap itself is extremely receptive to being loaded into the bristles. Lathering is pretty easy with this soap, and a nice lather with the consistency of crème fraiche is developed rather easily.

Here are the scores (as always, strength of scent and preference aren’t included since they’re so subjective):

Lathering: 8/10
Cushion: 10/10
Slickness: 9/10
Moisturizing: 9/10
Residual Slickness: 8/10
Stability: 5/5

Total: 49/55

Comparable soap bases from a performance standpoint:

Wild West Shaving Co. (50.5/55)
Saponificio Varesino Beta 4.3 (50/55)
Barrister & Mann Glissant (49/55)
Fine Accoutrements (49/55)
Soapy Science (49/55)
Wholly Kaw regular tallow (49/55)
Stirling Soaps (48/55)

Conclusion: TSC is very lucky to have Lisa as one of the first vendors here. She really is a master of her craft and is consistently trying to improve upon an already great product. This is not to over-hype someone who is supporting our forum. There are issues with the product, albeit in my opinion, they are very minor. The packaging could be updated with waterproof labeling, side labeling, and a larger container to enable those like me who enjoy loading directly from the tub. The soap does need a little help in the residual slickness side of the house, but the other marks put this in pretty good company with Barrister & Mann’s glissant base as well as Fine Accoutrements and Soapy Science. The price to performance ratio is phenomenally good, among best in class. Even with the issues with the packaging, it really is hard to go wrong with this soap. The performance level is off the charts compared to its price point, and honestly, it’s always nice to support a vendor who is supporting our community. This vendor just happens to have an incredible product to boot!

https://youtu.be/Q5jGL7N_pZI

Really liked the new camera angle. Also great review!

Those do happen be water resistant labels printed with my laser printer. Yes I guess there is a difference between water resistant and waterproof. I know the tubs "suck", yes I heard that loud and clear and they will change once my budget allows. The premium soap is what is being reformulated at this time, not both. I hope I'm not coming off like a "total rag" but there seems to be a bit of confusion. I just wanted to make sure the facts are clear.
Please realize that I run this business by myself and do everything (and I really mean everything) by myself. I am working on refining and clearing up the clutter, it just takes time.
I do want you all to know how much I appreciate every single person who has given me their support. I do welcome all feedback good or bad, no matter which I put that feedback to work for me to improve products and strengthen customer relationships. The bottom line if I don't have a good product and happy customers then I don't have a successful business.

Sincerely,

Lisa ...the rag
I'll be better in a few ?

Those do happen be water resistant labels printed with my laser printer. Yes I guess there is a difference between water resistant and waterproof. I know the tubs "suck", yes I heard that loud and clear and they will change once my budget allows. The premium soap is what is being reformulated at this time, not both. I hope I'm not coming off like a "total rag" but there seems to be a bit of confusion. I just wanted to make sure the facts are clear.
Please realize that I run this business by myself and do everything (and I really mean everything) by myself. I am working on refining and clearing up the clutter, it just takes time.
I do want you all to know how much I appreciate every single person who has given me their support. I do welcome all feedback good or bad, no matter which I put that feedback to work for me to improve products and strengthen customer relationships. The bottom line if I don't have a good product and happy customers then I don't have a successful business.

Sincerely,

Lisa ...the rag
I'll be better in a few
1f910.png

Oh don't refer to yourself as the rag. LOL. I think what sets you apart from other artisans/vendors/soap makers is that you actually listen to the minor criticisms and make adjustments. It shows that you are now on iteration 7(right?) of your premium line. Love your products and what you are doing with your business. How you do it all solo is just amazing to me! Because it isn't just shaving products that you offer, and yet somehow all your products are amazing!

Sincerely,

Lisa ...the rag
I'll be better in a few ?

Thanks for the feedback Lisa, I'll redress some of these in the next video I do!

Don't worry about coming off as "a rag"...it's very understandable that you're ultra proud of the product you produce, (rightly so!). I tried to convey that you're in a constant state of improvement of your products in the video. I appreciate that you're a one person operation as well...quite impressive! You still make one of the best soaps in my den, so nothing to shake a stick at!!

I meant no offense to you. You do a great job with your videos, believe me I appreciate them and have learned alot by watching reviews.

Sorry, but you are mistaken if you think I'm ultra proud of my products in the video. The way I see it as a drop list of everything I need to fix. How can I be proud of my product that still isn't where I want it to be? All I can do is keep going and one day I'll get it right.

Btw your order number was picked for the June giveaway, so congrats to you...some people are sooo lucky.

Another great review Josh! I really love these type scent profiles!

Lisa, as some one who worked with some shaving vendors...albeit briefly...believe me when I say that you take criticism well! There are some soap makers out there that when a person on a forum criticized their soap in the slightest...he would go nuts and get Uber defensive! I know I have an appreciation for anyone who can step out and make a business out of making soap.

I have a friend who is a soap maker here in Louisiana, she has done the Farmers Market and festival thing and has hit it hard! Last year her hard work paid off as they were able to open up a retail space at the mall!

Anyway...just wanted to say that we appreciate all you do. You will fit in great around here.

Love the review. Your reviews tend to have a high level of consistency in evaluation, making them valuable to those looking shopping. Chris (CMH737) is pretty good at evaluation too. Since so much about performance is subjective or influenced by water type and technique it is important to have several people reviewing products. I know that when CMH737 says something is puck worthy, i will like it. You mentioned "price to performance" score ...thats a cool idea.

...AND Lisa, you deserve to be proud of your soaps even when they are not where you want them. Being able to make very nice and attractive bar soap (presumably cold process) and highly desirable shaving soaps (hot process?) is a feat in and of itself. Being able to point to something you want to improve upon and knowing how to go about changing your recipe to improve it ...AMAZING.

Another great review Josh! I really love these type scent profiles!

Lisa, as some one who worked with some shaving vendors...albeit briefly...believe me when I say that you take criticism well! There are some soap makers out there that when a person on a forum criticized their soap in the slightest...he would go nuts and get Uber defensive! I know I have an appreciation for anyone who can step out and make a business out of making soap.

I have a friend who is a soap maker here in Louisiana...Bain Amour Bath & Body Co. She has done the Farmers Market and festival thing and has hit it hard! Last year her hard work paid off as they were able to open up a retail space at the mall!

Anyway...just wanted to say that we appreciate all you do. You will fit in great around here.
...I know of whom you speak. I mentioned once(n my journal) that a sample I was given was scented too weakly to be enjoyed and almost had to get a restraining order he became so enraged. There were many who spoke highly of his stuff but I always assumed they did so because they feared him. Crazy.

I meant no offense to you. You do a great job with your videos, believe me I appreciate them and have learned alot by watching reviews.

Sorry, but you are mistaken if you think I'm ultra proud of my products in the video. The way I see it as a drop list of everything I need to fix. How can I be proud of my product that still isn't where I want it to be? All I can do is keep going and one day I'll get it right.

Btw your order number was picked for the June giveaway, so congrats to you...some people are sooo lucky.

That's awesome Lisa!! Thank you so much, I'm really looking forward to trying the bath soap!

LNHC

Your premium shave soap line is top notch. It demonstrates the work you have put into this business. I see your brand getting a lot of traction on two other forums so your efforts are paying off. You are successfully building a brand.

With regard to the tubs, I personally like them. Granted, they are not standard size and loading a larger brush from them is somewhat challenging; however, while you still have a supply of them why not play to their strengths in how you market or present them. If you have lemons, make lemonade. Seen certain ways, these tubs have advantages.

As I see it, one strength is that they make a perfect travel size. You can throw one or two in your suitcase and you are good to go. I know because that is exactly what I did recently.

So how do you overcome the loading issue. I found that by using a Razorock 400 synthetic brush which does not splay a great deal I was able to easily load directly from the tub. A synthetic brush makes a good travel brush because you don't have to worry about whether it is dry when you pack it. And it just so happened that it was perfect for loading from your tubs.

Though the Razorock 400 is not a small brush, I suspect other more compact brushes will also work like a Simpsons Wee Scot. The loading issue becomes a non-issue if the user understands how to address the problem.

The second advantage is that the smaller tub contains less soap and you use up the tub quicker. This is almost counterintuitive. The price is correspondingly less and does not break the bank. This allows me to try new soaps more often.

Most wet shavers dream of being able to use up all the soap they buy but are confronted with a shaving den full of large size tubs of unused soap. The typical wet shaver wants to try new scents and new soaps but feels guilty because he or she is being wasteful in buying yet another large tub of soap. Seeing the bottom of a tub of soap is therefore a cause for celebration for most wet shavers. I am seeing that bottom in the tub of Somali Rose I took with me to Central America. It was therefore less problematic for me to place a new order for two more of your soaps.

I hope I am not stepping out of line here.

Regards,
Glenn

Your premium shave soap line is top notch. It demonstrates the work you have put into this business. I see your brand getting a lot of traction on two other forums so your efforts are paying off. You are successfully building a brand.

With regard to the tubs, I personally like them. Granted, they are not standard size and loading a larger brush from them is somewhat challenging; however, while you still have a supply of them why not play to their strengths in how you market or present them. If you have lemons, make lemonade. Seen certain ways, these tubs have advantages.

As I see it, one strength is that they make a perfect travel size. You can throw one or two in your suitcase and you are good to go. I know because that is exactly what I did recently.

So how do you overcome the loading issue. I found that by using a Razorock 400 synthetic brush which does not splay a great deal I was able to easily load directly from the tub. A synthetic brush makes a good travel brush because you don't have to worry about whether it is dry when you pack it. And it just so happened that it was perfect for loading from your tubs.

Though the Razorock 400 is not a small brush, I suspect other more compact brushes will also work like a Simpsons Wee Scot. The loading issue becomes a non-issue if the user understands how to address the problem.

The second advantage is that the smaller tub contains less soap and you use up the tub quicker. This is almost counterintuitive. The price is correspondingly less and does not break the bank. This allows me to try new soaps more often.

Most wet shavers dream of being able to use up all the soap they buy but are confronted with a shaving den full of large size tubs of unused soap. The typical wet shaver wants to try new scents and new soaps but feels guilty because he or she is being wasteful in buying yet another large tub of soap. Seeing the bottom of a tub of soap is therefore a cause for celebration for most wet shavers. I am seeing that bottom in the tub of Somali Rose I took with me to Central America. It was therefore less problematic for me to place a new order for two more of your soaps.

I hope I am not stepping out of line here.

Regards,
Glenn
Wow Glen! You totally rocked this and if i do say so myself thanks. Opinions are never out of line...how you feel is just that. Thank you for bringing out the positives.

????

Lisa

Back