The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Review: Belated mailcall from Dagwoodz (DG, CL, A&E, Pens)

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
Wasn't sure exactly where to put this one, so I decided here was as good a place as any.

So about 2 weeks ago, I received a package from Dagwoodz. It was a mystery box that he sent me. He just asked me for my address, and I had no idea what he was sending. To my surprise, it was full of awesomeness.

A tub of Declaration Grooming/Chatillon Lux: La Quatrieme Ville soap
A container of Chatillon Lux: La Quatrieme Ville post shave salve
A sample of Ariana & Evans: SoCal Hipster soap
And a sample of Penhaligons Endymion cologne.

Now, all of these were new to me. I have used one DG soap before, so I knew what to expect from it's performance, but aside form that, everything else was a first time use. I have had these for about 2 weeks, and I just finished off my A&E sample, so here are my reviews.

DG/CL: La Quatrieme Ville soap
As with my other DG soap, the performance here is top notch. There really isn't much to say about the performance, it's just one of the best. Could be a little slicker, but that's my only complaint. The scent is interesting. I'm not sure exactly what it is supposed to be, but it smells like a spicy/florally bay rum. It's a bit weird, but oddly pleasant. Not terribly strong, which is nice, because it's not overpowering. I like it.

CL: La Quatrieme Ville post shave salve
Boy howdy, this stuff it thick. Not really thick consistency, it's super easy to scoop out, but as it spreads, it just wants to soak in so it feels thick on the face. It feels pretty heavy, kinda greasy, not like a typical balm. Oh, and you don't need very much at all. That can't be stressed enough. This goes on heavier than Cade balm. As such I really do not care for it as a post shave. Balms aren't really my thing, and this feels way to heavy.

However, after reading Chris' thread on pre-shave routines, I've started applying a little bit on my face at night right before I go to bed, to be part of a greater pre-shave routine, and so far I like it.

Ariana & Evans: SoCal Hipster soap
I had never heard of this brand. The sample just said A&E, and I had to ask Josh what that even was. The scent is pretty good, smells like a piña colada with a floral garnish to me. Not really a scent I would use that often in my den, but certainly fun to try. The soap lathered up easily, but seemed to have a fairly tight water tolerance. It went from too dry to too wet pretty easily. But once I got it dialed in, the rest of my shaves were good. The shave itself was good, but it's not as slick as I'd like it to be. It had absolutely no residual slickness. Which is one of my key grading factors. And it seemed to have no moisturizing properties, as my skin was dry after my last pass. Overall this soap was good, but not great. A solid middle tier soap. Nothing that I would add to my den.

Penhaligons Endymion cologne.
I don't know what this is supposed to smell like. Smells very generically cologney to me, however, it is better than any other generically cologney scent. Many times I get that generic scent and I'm immediately turned off. This is very similar to that scent, but seems much more refined and balanced, and I like it. I really can't describe the scent, I don't smell any individual notes. But it is good. Not anything I would wear day to day, but certainly something I would use every now and then.

Thanks again Josh for the chance to try these products.

Nice review KJ and kudos to Josh on the PIF

Back