The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Review; Barrister & Mann Tuesday

Dagwoodz

TSC's Movie Star
Veteran
Legacy
Barrister & Mann’s seasonal releases are always eagerly anticipated, and this year was no exception. Barrister & Mann’s spring 2018 releases of Patches and Tuesday were well received in the shaving community. I’ve already reviewed Patches earlier, and this is a review of the other release from this past spring, in Tuesday. This is a pretty simplistic accord of Lavender and Violet, quite unusual for Will of Barrister & Mann, who is known for creating complex scent profiles. While there are only two scent notes here, this does not smell simplistic. The lavender is quite well balanced with the violet, the latter giving a sharpness to the fragrance that lavender doesn’t usually provide. The feeling you get from the scent is that of sitting in a greenhouse full of spring flowers…the sharp, sweet smell quite pleasing to the senses. It’s not cloying by any stretch of the imagination, either. Finally, this is a unisex fragrance and will be suitable for year round wear. My one big gripe with this is that it replaced Adagio this year as the spring release; Adagio doesn’t look like it will be returning any time soon, unfortunately.

This is in the glissant base, which is Will’s standard base along with the reserve line. It’s an above average soap base that I’ve had good luck with in the past.

Ingredients: Potassium stearate, aqua, glycerin, sodium stearate, potassium tallowate, sodium tallowate, potassium ricinoleate, potassium shea butterate, sodium ricinoleate, coconut milk, sodium shea butterate, fragrance, carthamus tinctorius hybrid (hybrid safflower) seed oil, potassium palm kernelate, allantoin, lanolin, sodium palm kernelate, sodium citrate, tocopherol acetate, hydrolyzed silk protein

All metrics for this soap base are above average, and it is a pleasing soap to use. It’s not as slick as some, nor as cushioned, and doesn’t have the post-shave moisturizing that is found in soaps such as Lisa’s. But it’s about as even a soap across the board as you can get, with cushion probably being its best quality if forced to pick an attribute, as well as being very easy to lather, though loading could be a bit faster.

I altered my scoring chart again to hopefully make it more representative of where this product sits on a performance and preference scale.

Loading: 7/10
Latherability: 10/10
Water band: 8/10
Cushion / Protection: 9/10
Slickness / Glide: 7.5/10
Residual Slickness: 7.5/10
Stability: 10/10
Face Feel: 8/10
Post-Shave Moisturizing: 8/10
Performance Score: 8.33/10
Enjoyment Factor: .8

Total Score: 6.66
Conclusion: All in all, the buyer’s remorse is very real. This is a more enjoyable soap to use than the Tallow + Steel West Coast IPA, though the soap base is about equivalent, if not a little better. But down to brass tax, this was a good shave, with a very good soap. The scent elevates the shave, though not to the head spinning heights experienced with other soaps, such as with the recently reviewed Catie’s Bubbles creams made for West Coast Shaving. Suitable for year round wear, it’s also something that can be worn by both men and women. Another nice spring release from Barrister & Mann. If you’re in the market for a nice take on the lavender genre of scents, this is something that you should probably have in your den, as it’s both unique and enjoyable.

https://youtu.be/KxKXUbiElRs

I’m so confused. You say the buyers remorse is very real, which to me means you regret buying it. But you speak highly of it, and don’t seem to dislike the scent, so what am I missing?

I wish I had bought Tuesday instead of the Tallow + Steel soap. That's where the buyers remorse comes in.

Great review Josh! All I needed to see was “6.66”...devil soap, got it! ?

The scent of Tuesday reminds me of Chowards violet mints. I like it. It would be nice if there were more violet scented products.

Back