The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Restore and Rescale on my Grandad's Union Razor Cutlery Co. Straight

clyde72

Almond Milk Lattes are my POWER
Legacy
My mother gave me my grandad's straight razor that he had when he passed.

This the razor when I received it.

I did some cleaning and polishing on it.

It really needed repining, but I wanted to hone it and see how it shaved. I set the bevel with my Shapton Pro 1K and proceeded on through the 5K, 8K, and 12K. Then to the pasted balsa and a good stropping on the Tony Miller. I would up with a good HHT2 to HHT3 edge.

But I still needed/wanted to repin it and this happened.

I ordered some Ivory Paper - Aged Micarta blanks to make some new scales.

Here they are after shaping and rough sanding

I think those paper mycarta blanks worked well. I’ve made paper mycarta for scales, white can turn out looking very good...or not. Those look good, I like the shape. I have some scales to finish but I’m dreading it. For some reason I just can’t get into it.. I get hung up on the shape and the wedge (what material to use).

Absolutely awesome! That razor has alot of sentimental value inI'm sure

CBLindsay said:
I think those paper mycarta blanks worked well. I’ve made paper mycarta for scales, white can turn out looking very good...or not. Those look good, I like the shape. I have some scales to finish but I’m dreading it. For some reason I just can’t get into it.. I get hung up on the shape and the wedge (what material to use).

Thanks Chris! Yeah choosing the shape can be an issue, I wanted to keep this one close to what it was when I got it.

Cvargo said:
Absolutely awesome! That razor has alot of sentimental value inI'm sure

Thanks Chad! Yes it does.

Outstanding job on the restoration Craig!! That will be a wonderful addition to the den for you!

Nice restore Craig, and you did a wonderful job on the scales! One of the most annoying and difficult parts of rescaling for me is trying to get the pins as centered as possible, and yours look perfect.

Smattayu said:
Nice restore Craig, and you did a wonderful job on the scales! One of the most annoying and difficult parts of rescaling for me is trying to get the pins as centered as possible, and yours look perfect.

Thanks Eric!

Funny I wasn't 100% pleased with them, but I stopped working on them because I wanted to preserve some of the "personality" it had when I got it.

What material did you use for the wedge, I'm doing a rescale with imitation ivory, I had bought a block of ebony but I don't think it will work as imagined.

Tetraodon said:
What material did you use for the wedge, I'm doing a rescale with imitation ivory, I had bought a block of ebony but I don't think it will work as imagined.

I used a piece of Black Nylon Plastic.

Outstanding job on the restore Craig. What a special razor to have. Enjoy it.

Back