The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Resistant Starch

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Just curious...any one else adding this to their diet? Thoughts? I started yesterday adding some to my diet. It's basically a prebiotic that helps feed your beneficial gut bacteria. It acts like a fiber and does not break down in the stomach or the small intestine. Supposedly there are a ton of health benefits anywhere from protecting against colon cancer, to improving insulin sensitivity, may help in the aid of weight loss, and supposedly improves sleep. There are different types of resistant starch, but some easy ways to get it is through cooked and cooled rice, green plantains, an boiled potatoes that have been cooled. Or an easier way would be to add a few tablespoons daily of Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch. Last night I added a table spoon to some water and drank it. Did the same this morning. I will likely work up to between three and four tablespoons daily and see if I can tell the difference. Those who are on Low Carb or Keto can use it to. As long as the starch is not heated, it is a net zero carb effect. Much like non-digestible fibers. See the link below for more info on the topic. But just wondering what are the thoughts of the health conscience Cadre!

I'd take anything you read on that site with a big grain of salt. (Or whatever else your diet allows.)

It's fibre, some fibre is obviously good, like anything too much of it can also cause problems, bloating for one.

Anything else they say, is just speculation at this point. There is more and more being discovered about the guy biome, but at the current state of knowledge, none of it is actionable, and we don't know much of anything about how to control the biome to improve things like mood or sleep. Still it's not going to hurt to try, so why not?

You missed the most important selling point lines, Don.....
"Helps maintain the sharp creases in your doo-doo. Sure to impress your co-workers with how professional you are!"

I'd take anything you read on that site with a big grain of salt. (Or whatever else your diet allows.)

It's fibre, some fibre is obviously good, like anything too much of it can also cause problems, bloating for one.

Anything else they say, is just speculation at this point. There is more and more being discovered about the guy biome, but at the current state of knowledge, none of it is actionable, and we don't know much of anything about how to control the biome to improve things like mood or sleep. Still it's not going to hurt to try, so why not?
I actually agree with you a lot Cole. I probably should have picked a different site to reference (though I do like a lot of what Dave Asprey has to say...especially on the issues of fasting and regenerative agriculture). But there are a lot of other sites that source their info a bit better:

Resistant Starch 101 — Everything You Need to Know (healthline.com)
What is Resistant Starch? - The Johns Hopkins Patient Guide to Diabetes (hopkinsdiabetesinfo.org)
Resistant Starch: What to know (medicalnewstoday.com)

Though, many of these other sites, I don't agree with their approach on the issue (I think the last one says that potato chips is a good source of resistant starch).

It wasn't until the Human Genome was mapped (or not mapped...because there is so much we don't know) that we learned about the Gut Biome. And yeah...what we don't know about is infinitely more than what we know.

That being said...there is still some solid evidence to some of it. For crying out loud...my Orthopedic Doctor is even talking about what to take that doesn't destroy my gut biome. I just find it interesting...and at about four bucks a bag for Potato Starch...I am willing to test the waters and be my own guinea pig. I mean...what is the worse that can happen....I get fat? Oops, too late... 🤪

Seriously though...I am so much more interested in biology and nutrition now days than I ever was. Almost makes me want to go back to school! - Almost...

I didn't really think about it at the time, but I guess if you're doing a strict keto diet that getting fibre can be an issue, in which case, it's got to be good, just follow those recommendations, of adding slowly and getting more water, I've had adding fibre backfire on me more than once.

I didn't really think about it at the time, but I guess if you're doing a strict keto diet that getting fibre can be an issue, in which case, it's got to be good, just follow those recommendations, of adding slowly and getting more water, I've had adding fibre backfire on me more than once.
So funny that you mention that. For about six months now...I have been adding Psyllium Husk to my daily routine. It's at least a tablespoon a day...but most days it's a tablespoon twice a day. So, I just started the potato starch in addition to the Psyllium Husk Powder. Yesterday I did a table spoon twice a day with the potato starch. So far so good. I will add though that I am making sure I am drinking plenty of water. Anyway...I will keep on this regiment for a week or so and then add a third tablespoon of potato starch. I have a method to my madness...and I am not doing this without a reason.

Back