The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

renew razor?

verysharp

Shave Newbie
Without knowing anything about what I was doing, I started a sharpening business 1.5 years ago. Blah blah blah jump to now, I picked up this blade at a local pawn shop. I have all the stones and strops but this unit needs cosmetic and functional repairs.

My first question to you is: is it worth it? I don't know what I'm looking at. This thing might be totally worn out and it might be just getting broke in. I don't know. What do you see? Corrosion has eaten through the blade in one spot (circled in yellow). Again, my first question is: is it worth spending time cleaning and refurbishing this blade?
Thanks,
Pete

Attachments

• 20211216_143123.jpg
    20211216_143123.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211216_143149.jpg
    20211216_143149.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211216_143223.jpg
    20211216_143223.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211216_143327.jpg
    20211216_143327.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 9
If it is for your personal use and you want to challenge yourself, it can be done. With the photo it’s hard to see the damage, with the exception of a chip. If it was indeed rusted through at that point, you may have a difficult time producing a satisfactory edge, but some times it you can start low, say on a Diamond plate or 1K and work your way through the corrosion. Looking closer at the photos, I think you could grind through that spot and still have enough razor left to produce a satisfying edge, but I’d need to see a little bit more.

I suggest you look up Lynn Abrams on YouTube, he has an excellent series of videos on restoration and working through chips.

It won’t be pretty, but you’ll learn somethings.

Just looking at it on my phone, I see the following:

Excessive hone wear on the spine.
The chip (hole) that you have highlighted.
The stabilizer is very close to your edge.

If you are new to razors and want something to practice on, this may work. But there is a bit of work there. In the end, is it worth anything? Just the experience of restoring.

Back