The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Regimentation

As I have gotten further into my 'golden years,' I have found that I have to be more careful about things like climbing in and out of the bathtub, driving (especially at night), even just walking or putting on my pants. I think this has carried over into my shaving practices. Although I still enjoy the exploration of new or different shaving gear and the daily variety of my brushes, razors, and software, my shaving practices have become somewhat more rigid. Each day I follow exactly the same routine of setting up, shaving, and cleaning up. I take my SOTD picture around the same time each day. I follow a 28-day schedule of gear combinations, so that each of my brushes gets used in turn. (I even move each brush 'up' one position on the schedule at the beginning of each month.) I hand-wash my shaving towel every Friday, and I also alternate between my two small brush scuttles that same day each week. I don't think it is late development of a form of OCD. Rather I just think that as I age and am increasingly aware of getting closer to the end of my life and the 'great unknown,' I feel a need for the reassurance of regular, relatively unchanging routines.

So are you a free spirit or a 'micro-manager'?

Deep down inside I want to be regimented - at least in the time of day for each shave - but it seems to be hap hazard of late….except for special occasion shaves (holidays, special seasonal shaves) where I can do a themed shave - I generally just pick something out on a whim. So it‘s an internal struggle for me - I do have OCD characteristics that fight the kid in me…..

1657304842647.gif

I think I am a mix, there are many things that I am regimented about, but they are mostly for practical reasons. But I desperately need things are unplanned, spontaneous or as I like to call it “freestyling“, shaving is one of those. I enjoy thinking about what gear I am going to use next. I often have my next shave planned the evening before, but more often than not, it changes at the last minute. This one something my wife and I struggle with, she likes this to

Back