The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons you will spend more...

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
I received my pre-sale order from Wholly Kaw yesterday...my much anticipated Agrumi in Estate. This was not by far, my most expensive order, but it wasn't my cheapest either. Some of the soaps I enjoy, don't break the bank...like Arko...yup I enjoy Arko...one of the best budget soaps. Stepping it up a notch...is Mystic Water. An excellent soap in my opinion and is standing the Artisan test of time. You can pick up a puck or stick for under $12. There are others also that perform well and you can buy for about a sawbuck or less.

So...why do we spend more? Sure...there are some that just perform well and we can't live without. But more often than not, it's the little things that really catch my attention!

As I mentioned in the mail call section...I received my Wholly Kaw package yesterday...and at the moment...Wholly Kaw soap with donkey milk is absolute tops. So I would likely keep buying. But what I received really sealed the deal...

It's probably a little hard to see but on my receipt was a personalized note actually hand written! This is a practice that has fell to wayside. I made this purchase because I was very interested in the experimentation of a "new" soap base. But when someone takes the time to take an extra 15 seconds to actually write something...that makes a huge difference to me. Some of the other stuff is nice also: a well designed business card, a card explaining a bit about the soaps and cream sample, and some candies (sadly I can't eat at the moment) thrown in also! These things add to the experience and I take notice. But the hand written note is class act in my book. Scott from Captains Choice does something similar...and is one the reasons I will always buy from him also!

So...what are some of your reasons you will pay a little more?

Not really spending more on soaps but I will continue to do business and make purchases at and with stores that have good customer service and that do little things that make their customers feel appreciated.

Soap Commander includes a personalized handwritten note also. It's one the reasons I love them. Customer service goes a long way with me.

I like the handwritten notes on my packing slip, especially when they include reference to past purchases or conversations. I like it when the vendor knows who I am beyond my order ...but that isn't a requirement. When a soap is sold at a premium it is nice to get the nice packaging and added goodies. It is amazing how a $.25 gimme makes the whole thing seem so much more reasonable. The sample gimmes are as much marketing as they are appreciation, i get that but it is still a cool touch. I won't recount them all but most of my purchases have had a note of some sort, even if only a simple thank you.

The little touches are very nice but when it comes to paying a larger premium I still want to see a sturdy container with attractive labeling.

There are several reasons why I will spend more on a product. I mostly pay attention to product quality and customer service quality. But, packaging is also a factor. If the producer didn't take the time to make the product look good as well as perform well, then I might be less inclined to buy. I do like the extra flourishes like the hand written note and extra goodies thrown in, but those are just extra icing on the cake.

Anything that goes above and beyond clicking a button and shipping your order to let you know that they took even 5 seconds to treat you like a customer that matters to them instead of a number.

A hand written note, and email to confirm an order, taking a minute to offer advice or answer a question.... Those things go a long way for me.

About a year and a half ago I got a package from Scott at Captian's Choice. It contained my order, but he had heard of my hip surgery and the box had extra samples, some razors and a Muhle brush along with a handwritten note from him. That meant a lot to me. I may not buy a lot, but there will always be CC in my den.

It's the ones that are just one of us that happen to sell a product instead of only being a business that make me want to spend more money.

Anything that goes above and beyond clicking a button and shipping your order to let you know that they took even 5 seconds to treat you like a customer that matters to them instead of a number.

A hand written note, and email to confirm an order, taking a minute to offer advice or answer a question.... Those things go a long way for me.

About a year and a half ago I got a package from Scott at Captian's Choice. It contained my order, but he had heard of my hip surgery and the box had extra samples, some razors and a Muhle brush along with a handwritten note from him. That meant a lot to me. I may not buy a lot, but there will always be CC in my den.

It's the ones that are just one of us that happen to sell a product instead of only being a business that make me want to spend more money.

Stated very well !!!!

Back