The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Realistic and Well Defined Goals

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
The new year is coming up here in a few days. And many of us have our New Year Resolutions. Or maybe not resolutions. Maybe you call them something else. Goal...or, something else. But in the end, they are things that you want to accomplish.

In know some of you are going to participate in the 2023 Weight Loss Challenge. Maybe some of you have some things you want to accomplish in the area of finance, or spirituality, or family goals, or whatever it is. Maybe instead of focusing on one or two big yearly goals...focus on building healthy daily/weekly habits that help you long term to get where you are going.

I am part of a group of people in another space that focuses on Health and Wellness. And Health and Wellness means a lot more than just diet and exercise. Anyway, I asked for some advise and some really knowledgeable people gave me some really good things to chew on. I am going to copy what I asked below...and then I am going to copy what some others had to say in subsequent posts. There was some good advice there.

If you stumble on this in the next couple of minutes...give me a bit to get all the posts copied over her before you comment please. I will let you all know when I am done. I hope you all learn something from this...I know I am going to put a lot of this in practice.

This is what I asked...

"I am my own worst enemy. We have all pretty much said this. But in my case it is exponentially true. I have this incredible need to make change even when change is not needed or in many cases detrimental. This is not a recipe for success. And because I have lived most of my life in "crisis mode" from choices I have made...I have no idea how to set realistic, well defined goals. In 2022 I told myself this was the year that I was going to stay healthy through the holidays. Evidently I lied to myself. Because here I am on the last notch of my belt. The beginning of the year is coming up and I plan on doing what I have done every year, lose a good chunk of weight. I have no idea what the scale says right now, because I am scared to get on it. But I bet just to get back to where I was around September, I probably have to lose about 30 pounds. I could probably stand to loose twice that amount. So I know I need to adjust my diet. As well as implement a weight routine and some cardio. I have a plan with all three of those things. But feel like I am missing something. I am missing realistic, well defined goals...otherwise I am telling myself the same old stuff I tell myself every year: lose weight, get stronger, be healthy. I have motivation...strong motivation! I turned 50 about a week ago. I have a 26 month old daughter. I want to live to see her grow into a woman. I want to be healthy and active to enjoy all the stages of life she goes through. I need some goals."

Matt said...

I have lived my life here a lot as well Don. Only recently have I been trying to win each day and not ride that roller coaster. Goggins says “perform without purpose” meaning don’t just perform to reach a goal, then relax and say “I did it”. Perform everyday, for that day. I am a very goal oriented person so this was a tough transition for me. I now try to look at each day as it’s own journey. I have to execute the good habits each day to win that day. This is not a new concept at all, but it seems to have worked for me.

Also, something I really use a lot is “what would I want my kids to do” would I want them to be lazy and not do the things that are good for them? Or would I want them to do anything possible to live their best life? If you ask yourself those questions when you are wobbling in decision doubt, and you are HONEST to yourself (try asking these questions in the mirror) then you really don’t have an option.

We all struggle with discipline, that is why it’s such a huge topic and the greatest leaders talk about how important it is. Move on from bad decisions quickly, use them as a building block only. Ask yourself why you did that and then use that answer as a weapon against the next decision. I like to make it a “me versus decision” mindset. For example, am I going to win or is the desire to drink a beer going to win? I’m sure there are A TON of people that will say this is not a healthy mindset, but I love it and it carries me through many hard days.

Simply put, the answer is discipline and then the grit to not let anything come in the way of that discipline. Whatever that takes for you.

My friend Ryan said the following (sorry I had to screen capture...for some reason I couldn't just copy and paste)...

1672238157200.png
1672238674322.png

Last edited:
Susie said...

One thing I’ve only recently figured out for myself in order to sustain change is having an “off-ramp” strategy.

Kerry had a really great idea...

I find habit-stacking really helpful when I'm trying to work something new into my routine that I perhaps don't love doing ... yet. I will pair it with something fun that I really enjoy that I'm already doing on the timetable that I'd like the new habit to reflect. Then I don't get to do the fun stuff until I've done the new thing. Kind of like the corporate 'swallow the frog' mentality of get the sucky thing out of the way first. You kind of start associating the new thing with enjoyment as well because of what you get to do after you do what you have to do.

Okay...done for now all. Let me know what you think. These are only the thoughts of people that I have some decent respect for. One of them is a software engineer and a health coach. Another is an Off-Grid homesteader. Another women is really big in the gardening scene. Theses are people from all walks of life.

I truly hope you get something out of this. Happy New Year!

Okay I lied...I have another one from my good friend Kim. This wasn't in response to my questions...but a stand alone post she made herself...

Every NY I come up with a mantra for the year. It's usually one sentence, maybe two, and sometimes a little cheeky and funny. I find this is more realistic than setting NY Goals. Your whole year, each month, each week should be goals, not just the start of the year. Always self improvement.

Setting your intention for the year, is what helps you get to those goals IMO.

Last year was "Trust the process." And in diving even deeper into that idea, 2023 mantra is: Lean into the chaos.

I'm a person that wants to control everything. I've learned through the years, the less I try to hold onto, the better things go. Relinquishing that control also allows for growth in a way I never knew possible. So, this year, I go even bigger into that idea and I actually lean into just letting the chaos of life be.

Back