The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Razorine

Adamf

Jr. Shave Member
He fellas,
So would using a Razorine be a good introduction into using a straight razor? Seems like it would help get some technique down before going to the big boy.

I haven’t tried one of those, so am no help.

I originally started my journey with a hair shaper though. So I would probably lean towards a standard shavette. Parker has some inexpensive ones.

@Adamf I’d be happy to hone up a real straight razor and send it to you next week if you’d like? I even have a practice razor with no edge on it that you can practice shaving and stropping on. Have a spare strop for you to use as well.

@Adamf I’d be happy to hone up a real straight razor and send it to you next week if you’d like? I even have a practice razor with no edge on it that you can practice shaving and stropping on. Have a spare strop for you to use as well.
I appreciate the offer. I don’t think I’m quite there yet as far as using a straight razor. All I can picture is Edward scissor hands 😂
I saw a video from Geofatboy from shavenation nation using one. Never heard of a razorine before seeing the video.
My goal right now is to get a decent DE razor. Leaning towards the Henson al13 at the moment. Also a variety pack of blades.

Does a straight edge razor give as close a shave as a DE? I’m sure I could get many different opinions on that. Just in general.

I have used multiple different Shavettes (and even like a couple of them). They are different than using a traditional straight. You should totally take @Luecke3262 up on his offer.
Agreed it is a great offer. I’m just trying to save money to buy the Henson. That’s going to take a little while. I just can’t afford both.

The Razorine is a DE shavette but it is not a good introduction to the open blade world. It’s more of a novelty razor.

There are some much better options out there!

The Razorine is a DE shavette but it is not a good introduction to the open blade world. It’s more of a novelty razor.

Yeah it was odd looking. I have never seen one before.

Agreed it is a great offer. I’m just trying to save money to buy the Henson. That’s going to take a little while. I just can’t afford both.
Saving money was why I mentioned the Parker shavette. They are on the website you mentioned and are $15 or the Diane is $5. Cheaper than the Razorine.

No worries, it’s my treat! Won’t cost you a dime! If you’ve never used a safety razor, I’ll gladly send you a vintage Gillette DE instead, they multiply like rabbits around my house.
1683068685952.jpeg

Agreed it is a great offer.
It’s a better offer than you thought. We are a very generous bunch here. When we say we’ll send you something…. It’s a PIF. sales aren’t allowed outside of the BST subforum.

If the razorine is a de blade based shavette I would advise against it. De blade based shavettes don’t really mimic a traditional straight razor geometry or feel well enough to be an effective “trainer”. If you want an affordable shavette style option I would definitely recommend the Weck Sextoblade (best if you can find a Weck Sextoblade made for shaving rather than the hair shaper version BUT they are pretty much the same thing with the exception of the blade guard you might find). In my opinion the best trainer is a vintage Weck Sextoblade with a flat blade guard …like butter.

A traditional straight razor is DEFINITELY capable of delivering a close AND very comfortable shave. The Weck/hair shaper blades are (in my opinion) more comfortable than a DE blade when used as a shavette blade. One of the underappreciated features of a straight razor us the relative rigidity of the blade vs disposable DE blades. The hair shaper blades are fairly rigid (little if any flex).

You can find hair shaper blades at local salon supply shops or amazon at a very reasonable price. The Weck Sextoblade is usually available on eBay or the BST for as little as $10 -$30 but depending on condition and how complete the setup is you might want/need to pay more. All in if you are patient it’s possible to get a straight razor and basic strop in a similar price range.

In my opinion the best trainer is a vintage Weck Sextoblade with a flat blade guard …like butter.
Highly concur! It’s my favorite shavette, and the most akin to a true straight, without spending over $100.

I've watched several, perhaps 10, videos where a Razorine was used. Holding and maneuvering it look *very* different from a shavette, straight, or Kamisori. It is its own thing, and does not look or sound appealing to me at all. It's basically a flat, completely untorqued, DE blade mounted on axis with the thin handle. I see no advantage to its use beyond shaving with an unusual system for the adventure, which is perfectly fine of course, but probably not the shortest path to good straight razor technique

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back