The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Razor Emporium

Soap Thing

Shave Member
Active Duty
Gonna name drop Razor Emporium for a minute because I am less than impressed. I received a box that had my shipping label on it but inside was somebody else’s order and their receipt. I’m sorry but really? Really now? That’s a thing that happens? I have sent Razor Emporium razors that my grand parents gave me. How do I know they won’t send those to the wrong address and then they disappear forever? So I’m going to be a good little wet shaver and send it to the right address and notify the recipient of the mistake, and then I’m going to call Razor Emporium and they are going to give me a discount for my trouble [emoji48]. That’s how that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very, very early in my journey Razor Emporium was one of the first places I ordered from. I ordered from them because they were the only ones that had the soap I was looking for at the time (a very specific scent/maker). The transaction did not go perfectly BUT I was contacted in advance of mistakes being made that would have made the situation made worse. I appreciated being contacted but even as a very new guy guy to the scene it didn’t feel right and I never went back (on purpose). Then I saw razors I wanted on eBay being listed for sale and they were being sold by razor emporium. By then I knew more about who they were and what they did ...and the reputation for exceeding expectations for some and utterly failing others. What turned me off was how they played the eBay price wars, listing items for $.99 then if nobody else bid up the price on the razors they seemed to kill the listing or come in as a buyer and max out a list price. Odd stuff to be sure (this was in 2018 and 2019, the last I ever bought on eBay). I am VERY hesitant to call the, scoundrels because I think they (he? Him? Them? I don’t know who owns it) serve multiple needs the community desires and it’s more likely he/they are overwhelmed or have staff that are less motivated to serve than the owner(s) would like. I know there are other people who do razor restoration and plating now so if/when I decide to have such work done for me I won’t have to take a chance on the place that has such inconsistent reviews.

I applaud you @Soap Thing for doing the gentlemanly thing and forwarding on the goods to the rightful owner, I have done the same and had the same done for me. I sure hope RE takes good care of you for your efforts and goes the extra mile and provides current proof of life for the razor they have in their care ...just so you can sleep well knowing it is resting comfortably.

Good luck with that. I have dealt with them once. They will not get my business again. All future work will go to Back Roads Gold.

Very, very early in my journey Razor Emporium was one of the first places I ordered from. I ordered from them because they were the only ones that had the soap I was looking for at the time (a very specific scent/maker). The transaction did not go perfectly BUT I was contacted in advance of mistakes being made that would have made the situation made worse. I appreciated being contacted but even as a very new guy guy to the scene it didn’t feel right and I never went back (on purpose). Then I saw razors I wanted on eBay being listed for sale and they were being sold by razor emporium. By then I knew more about who they were and what they did ...and the reputation for exceeding expectations for some and utterly failing others. What turned me off was how they played the eBay price wars, listing items for $.99 then if nobody else bid up the price on the razors they seemed to kill the listing or come in as a buyer and max out a list price. Odd stuff to be sure (this was in 2018 and 2019, the last I ever bought on eBay). I am VERY hesitant to call the, scoundrels because I think they (he? Him? Them? I don’t know who owns it) serve multiple needs the community desires and it’s more likely he/they are overwhelmed or have staff that are less motivated to serve than the owner(s) would like. I know there are other people who do razor restoration and plating now so if/when I decide to have such work done for me I won’t have to take a chance on the place that has such inconsistent reviews.

I applaud you @Soap Thing for doing the gentlemanly thing and forwarding on the goods to the rightful owner, I have done the same and had the same done for me. I sure hope RE takes good care of you for your efforts and goes the extra mile and provides current proof of life for the razor they have in their care ...just so you can sleep well knowing it is resting comfortably.

I don’t know. Other groups are saying I’m out of line for even bringing it up. I like Razor Emporium and I will continue to do business with them, but people should be made aware when they make such a fundamental mistake.

I don’t know. Other groups are saying I’m out of line for even bringing it up. I like Razor Emporium and I will continue to do business with them, but people should be made aware when they make such a fundamental mistake.

What I am about to say I say as BOTH a buy who has formed opinions of what is right and wrong in the wet shaving community through my own experiences and participation AND as an (as in ONE of the 3 owners that make of THE owners) owner of the TSC forum were you posted about your experience and your opinion.

I think it is total fair, reasonable and expected that customers share their experiences they have had with vendors. If we are going to heap praise and glory on those who we love we can expect to share a few failed transactions as well. It isn’t possible for any vendor or artisan in the wet shaving world to provide perfect products or services the first time every time, if the forums are filled with users who make it appear that is the case...it’s a lie. ‘It’ happens and when it does how the vendor (or artisan) deals with it and corrects the issues that made it happen in the first place tells us all what kind of person/people we are dealing with. Just as a vendor won’t always deliver perfect products or services, forum members won’t always be fair in how they represent their side of a transaction gone wrong or allow a vendor ample enough opportunity to correct a problem (being upset that you got the wrong product delivered but never telling them you got the wrong product is just setting the vendor up for failed service and unfair). As customers and forum members we have a responsibility to provide fair opportunity for redress of issues BEFORE we post a negative comment that will forever alter the vendor’s livelihood. Your/our small purchase does not give us the right to have hurt feelings, only products or services in exchange for cash. Our duty as forum members is to provide fair and honest reviews that are independent of the cash transaction we had with the vendor. We can/should describe if or how the vendor failed to deliver even after being informed of an error and given an opportunity to resolve the issue, and we can/should describe our OWN impressions of products and services received. I know it’s hard to keep emotions out of such things but as long as a review or recap is about your own experiences and/or your comments to threads about others experiences are respectful, constructive and reinforce/rebut their experiences with examples of your own, such threads shouldn’t be avoided just because they appear to shine light on something negative. If it’s true, respectfully stated and constructive, it can have value to others.

I will readily admit (and if they wish to say publicly I did so and how it was handled they may) I sent out at least 2 orders recently with the wrong soaps. One person had to tell me I messed up so I could fix it, the other I caught after it was sent and had to send a second package which didn’t arrive until after Christmas (hasn’t arrived yet). I’ve had other screw ups and will have more.

For many who have been around awhile razor emporium is but one of many dead horses that are kicked now and then. I am all for allowing new guys to give old business a second chance but if there are other places that offer great service I think we owe it to our forum brothers to share THOSE places names too. Particularly when a googly machine search doesn’t easily return those names.

If we (meaning the other groups) are willing to accept the pages and pages of nothing but glowing reviews of the same soaps, we/they need to be willing to accept threads that tell us the dead horse is still up to its old tricks. That’s my opinion.

What I am about to say I say as BOTH a buy who has formed opinions of what is right and wrong in the wet shaving community through my own experiences and participation AND as an (as in ONE of the 3 owners that make of THE owners) owner of the TSC forum were you posted about your experience and your opinion.

I think it is total fair, reasonable and expected that customers share their experiences they have had with vendors. If we are going to heap praise and glory on those who we love we can expect to share a few failed transactions as well. It isn’t possible for any vendor or artisan in the wet shaving world to provide perfect products or services the first time every time, if the forums are filled with users who make it appear that is the case...it’s a lie. ‘It’ happens and when it does how the vendor (or artisan) deals with it and corrects the issues that made it happen in the first place tells us all what kind of person/people we are dealing with. Just as a vendor won’t always deliver perfect products or services, forum members won’t always be fair in how they represent their side of a transaction gone wrong or allow a vendor ample enough opportunity to correct a problem (being upset that you got the wrong product delivered but never telling them you got the wrong product is just setting the vendor up for failed service and unfair). As customers and forum members we have a responsibility to provide fair opportunity for redress of issues BEFORE we post a negative comment that will forever alter the vendor’s livelihood. Your/our small purchase does not give us the right to have hurt feelings, only products or services in exchange for cash. Our duty as forum members is to provide fair and honest reviews that are independent of the cash transaction we had with the vendor. We can/should describe if or how the vendor failed to deliver even after being informed of an error and given an opportunity to resolve the issue, and we can/should describe our OWN impressions of products and services received. I know it’s hard to keep emotions out of such things but as long as a review or recap is about your own experiences and/or your comments to threads about others experiences are respectful, constructive and reinforce/rebut their experiences with examples of your own, such threads shouldn’t be avoided just because they appear to shine light on something negative. If it’s true, respectfully stated and constructive, it can have value to others.

I will readily admit (and if they wish to say publicly I did so and how it was handled they may) I sent out at least 2 orders recently with the wrong soaps. One person had to tell me I messed up so I could fix it, the other I caught after it was sent and had to send a second package which didn’t arrive until after Christmas (hasn’t arrived yet). I’ve had other screw ups and will have more.

For many who have been around awhile razor emporium is but one of many dead horses that are kicked now and then. I am all for allowing new guys to give old business a second chance but if there are other places that offer great service I think we owe it to our forum brothers to share THOSE places names too. Particularly when a googly machine search doesn’t easily return those names.

If we (meaning the other groups) are willing to accept the pages and pages of nothing but glowing reviews of the same soaps, we/they need to be willing to accept threads that tell us the dead horse is still up to its old tricks. That’s my opinion.

Fair enough. Next time I’ll take caution before airing my frustration into the wind. I appreciate you taking the time to talk about it. A lot of people aren’t so forgiving.

Fair enough. Next time I’ll take caution before airing my frustration into the wind. I appreciate you taking the time to talk about it. A lot of people aren’t so forgiving.

I think your post was fine...after all it was your experience. And I think it is VERY honorable of you to make sure that the other customer's package is passed along to them. I might think that this would just be a common courtesy, but there are many out there that would have just sent it back to RE.

I do hope that you post what, if any, solutions/actions RE offers and if they find your razors. This would be the main issue for me.

Like Chris said in the above post...

‘It’ happens and when it does how the vendor (or artisan) deals with it and corrects the issues that made it happen in the first place tells us all what kind of person/people we are dealing with.
This is how I really judge a business...any business...not just the wet shaving community. I'll admit, that issues amongst the wet shaving community and the businesses and artisans it encapsulates are few and far between for me. But like Chris said...it's going to happen...and it has happened to me. And I have experienced wonderful businesses and artisans that would go above and beyond making it up to me. I have also experienced the opposite end of the spectrum.

Like I said...I am interested...and do hope you post about it...how RE makes this situation right. Good luck to you and I hope you get your heirloom razors back in the condition you expect them to be in.

I think your post was fine...after all it was your experience. And I think it is VERY honorable of you to make sure that the other customer's package is passed along to them. I might think that this would just be a common courtesy, but there are many out there that would have just sent it back to RE.

I do hope that you post what, if any, solutions/actions RE offers and if they find your razors. This would be the main issue for me.

Like Chris said in the above post...

This is how I really judge a business...any business...not just the wet shaving community. I'll admit, that issues amongst the wet shaving community and the businesses and artisans it encapsulates are few and far between for me. But like Chris said...it's going to happen...and it has happened to me. And I have experienced wonderful businesses and artisans that would go above and beyond making it up to me. I have also experienced the opposite end of the spectrum.

Like I said...I am interested...and do hope you post about it...how RE makes this situation right. Good luck to you and I hope you get your heirloom razors back in the condition you expect them to be in.

I sent the package to the proper address. Razor emporium (so far) has not responded. My email to them was much more polite than my post was. I emailed them before I made my initial post if that matters to anyone.

I guess as long as it doesn’t turn into a pissing match then I’m happy to just wipe my hands of it and hope it doesn’t happen to somebody else anytime soon.

I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I actually just posted a video about them after picking up a replate on Saturday.

I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I actually just posted a video about them after picking up a replate on Saturday.

I’ve placed over two dozen orders with them and every single one was perfect except that one... So I was jaded and my expectations were high. that’s why I made this post, then promptly hit the brakes and thought “well crap, I’m not walking that one back anytime soon”. I live and I learn.

Back