The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Razor Cleaning Day

Bogeyman

Shave Member
Every few months I fill a plastic disposable cup with alcohol and break out an old used toothbrush to clean accumulated soap scum from my Tech razor. It's the best & fastest way I've found. Soaking won't cut it as mine needs mechanical action, i.e., brushing. It is then that I also break out my loaded injector razors and give them a soak, but no scrubbing with a blade loaded. Just thought I'd share this with you dirty, grody bums. šŸ§ ;)

I try to clean my razors each time I change the blade. Most times is warm water, Dawn, a soft toothbrush, finishing with an alcohol dip...sometimes I cheat and just wipe what I can with a microfiber cloth...

About once a month mine get a bath in the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner then a scrub with an old toothbrush.

The easiest way Iā€™ve found to clean my razors (of any kind) is with foaming scrubbing bubbles. I rinse with 90% alcohol and wipe clean and dry after each use to keep them clean but scrubbing bubbles is a great cleaner for the gunk. Fortunately, I avoid the need for ā€œcleaning dayā€ by keeping up with cleaning as I use the razors or change blades. Since I mostly use straight razors or shavette type razors cleaning is less an issue than honing.

I do love the alcohol soak though, seems to help keep scum build up to a minimum. An alternative would be Barbicide soaks,

Back