The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Quick straight razor touch-up using the Sx Black Ark

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
I don't have a fixed routine when it comes to touch-ups or maintenance, i tend to mix things up more than stick to a single method. most often I will just strop on a cotton strop loaded with .2 and .1 micron diamond spray but every so often I get in the mood to touch up on the Ark or a coti. To be honest, a coticule isn't the best "touch up" stone, for me it leaves the edge needing a little more work while the ark leaves the edge pretty much ready to strop and shave.

What I've done here is show how I touch up an otherwise shave ready razor on the Sx black ark. My preferred honing oil is marvel mystery oil but I will also use or mix into the mmo some oleic acid. The goal is a to provide a slick, thin layer that will "wash away" metal fragments while lubricating the surface. Using water or dilute soap will usually proved better tactile feedback but when doing a tough up I am not interested in feedback.

I shaved with the Genco this morning after stropping on cotton then leather, the result was very good.

Just watched this. Great video!

I have a Genco Easy Aces from the yard sale. I have used it once and it does have a very nice edge on it.

Just watched this. Great video!

I have a Genco Easy Aces from the yard sale. I have used it once and it does have a very nice edge on it.
Most edges "settle down" after a shave or two, making them feel smoother on the face. Some people like that extra-keen, almost "toothy" feel so they will return to the stone regularly. Fortunately, once an edge is rendered keen and shave worthy stropping on leather can keep it that way. Not to introduce another rabbit hole but different types of leather will produce a different edge feel. The most obvious difference in leathers is how the blade glides (or doesn't) over the leather while stropping but once you've used a few different types of leather you will notice the edge feels different too. I like a fast draw (easy glide) but strops with a little stickiness result in a great edge for me.

Most edges "settle down" after a shave or two, making them feel smoother on the face. Some people like that extra-keen, almost "toothy" feel so they will return to the stone regularly. Fortunately, once an edge is rendered keen and shave worthy stropping on leather can keep it that way. Not to introduce another rabbit hole but different types of leather will produce a different edge feel. The most obvious difference in leathers is how the blade glides (or doesn't) over the leather while stropping but once you've used a few different types of leather you will notice the edge feels different too. I like a fast draw (easy glide) but strops with a little stickiness result in a great edge for me.
So far I only have a 3" Tony Miller Plain Chocolate strop. It is a light draw strop that works well for me. I have considered getting something with a heavier draw, but haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. I need to find a better place to hang strops where more than one won't be too obtrusive.

So far I only have a 3" Tony Miller Plain Chocolate strop. It is a light draw strop that works well for me. I have considered getting something with a heavier draw, but haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. I need to find a better place to hang strops where more than one won't be too obtrusive.
I had our resident iron worker (@ShawnF ) make me a cool strop hanging system that allows me to efficiently hang and use 4 strops . It looks good too. I'll snap a photo of it. I made it so I can hang it in a corner out of the way OR on the wall I usually strop from but both locations allow me to strop on any strop I want.

I made 2 of my 4 current strops, not hard to do but it can get pricey.

I will probably just get one of those towel racks that hangs on the back of a door.

I haven't thought about making my own leather strops. I am planning to make a denim bench strop, but haven't put it together yet.

I will probably just get one of those towel racks that hangs on the back of a door.

I haven't thought about making my own leather strops. I am planning to make a denim bench strop, but haven't put it together yet.
Just be sure to use an all metal rack. I tried one with plastic hooks and the broke off after a few weeks

@dkeester here is the photo I promised.
You notice the little hook to the left, that’s where I used to hang strops but I had to take them all off to get the one I wanted. I can strop from the hanger now or grab one and hang it from the hook on my wall to use. Most important my wife approves of the visual

Back