The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Proraso shave soap issue

BrisketGuy

Shave Member
Proraso White for sensitive skin in tub.
Was wondering, anybody else have trouble with this lathering?
read on their website that soap is baked so needs plenty of water. How much water? I typically get a very thin lather with either low water or get frustrated and add too much water so it becomes watery. Either way slickness is ok, but no residual slickness present like in all other soaps I use. Proraso green shave cream in the tube doesn't have this issue. Do I have a bad tub of soap or what?
View attachment 134091

I’ve used Proraso Red and Green. They both load and lather rather quickly and easily, at least with a synth. The soap is fairly basic though (not in a bad way). I don’t get much residual out of either without adding in some wetness somehow. If you’re going over a patch more than 1-2 times, best to quickly rinse and re-lather.

Have you tried adding a little bit of water and letting it "bloom" for a few minutes before you start your lathering.. I have all 3 of the proraso and don't really have a problem with them... I got mine at either TH Maxx or Ross or Marshall's ( I don't remember ) , so they were a little older when I got them as those places usually have stuff thats been on the shelf for a little while so they were older stock , but still they did fine... Do you have hard or soft water? I can't remember if you have said before , sorry... Oh and also what type of brush are you using ( Hair Type ) ? Good luck and let us know how it goes...

I’ve used Proraso Red and Green. They both load and lather rather quickly and easily, at least with a synth. The soap is fairly basic though (not in a bad way). I don’t get much residual out of either without adding in some wetness somehow. If you’re going over a patch more than 1-2 times, best to quickly rinse and re-lather.
Yes, I don't have any trouble with the green in either puck or cream, but yes they too don't have much residual slickness, so can't get by with no lather touchups. But definitely a basic lather and possible shaves

Have you tried adding a little bit of water and letting it "bloom" for a few minutes before you start your lathering.. I have all 3 of the proraso and don't really have a problem with them... I got mine at either TH Maxx or Ross or Marshall's ( I don't remember ) , so they were a little older when I got them as those places usually have stuff thats been on the shelf for a little while so they were older stock , but still they did fine... Do you have hard or soft water? I can't remember if you have said before , sorry... Oh and also what type of brush are you using ( Hair Type ) ? Good luck and let us know how it goes...
Geuss I would categories my water as semi-hard water. All my other soaps lather fine. Brushes I use synthetic, badger, boar, horse. Brush makes no difference. Just tried the blooming the puck trick and using blooming water for preshave. That definitely fixed the issue with thin lather, only slight improvements in slickness. I'm thinking it's pretty close to best it's ever going to be. This puck most be extra dry compared to the green I have. The Proraso creams seem better than the pucks to me. Definitely not as good as HC&C or PAA and CBL soaps. I even get arko shave stick to lather easier and has little amount of residual slickness. Geuss I'll stick with Proraso creams over pucks

Here's the Proraso white with bloom water in it. Let it bloom for 2 hrs because of suspected dried out puck. Used bloom water as preshave. Finally got a decently thicker lather out of it. Used the Smilez4Milez Cholla cactus skeleton brush with Manchurian Silvertip Badger Knot in it. Razor was the Tedalus Essence with Proguard blade 15th use. Did not use the Rockwell T2 in bottom of picture, need to put it back in stand, thank you for the blooming the puck suggestion. Forgot about that trick
20240721_175935.jpg

Maybe try using more soap on your bruxh ? I know personally on some of my soaps different brushes work better than others... Maybe a different brush? if badger doesnt work maybe try boar or horse or synthetic? Good Luck !!

Back