The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Pore Me

Yes and no.

If clogged they can stretch thus "opening" and "closing" after the clog is removed and returning to shape. They have no muscles though, so can't open or close on their own.

Yes and no.

If clogged they can stretch thus "opening" and "closing" after the clog is removed and returning to shape. They have no muscles though, so can't open or close on their own.
So, ummm, you're saying that I'm a pore? 😢

Yes. Dead horse. Pores do not open and close. When you apply a hot cloth or steam or hot water to your face, your skin loosens up, causing the surrounding tissue around the pores to appear as though they are larger. And when you apply cold water or an astringent your skin tightens, again making your pores appear as though they are smaller. Now, this horse is truly dead.

Before you completely dismiss the idea that pores can “open” or “close” I will point out that our skin does contain “muscles” capable of causing our hair to stand up (erector pili). I’m not saying these same muscles play a role I opening or closing pores, only that our integumentary system is much more complex than many understand. ...and THAT is why this topic continues to have legs.

Strictly speaking pores do NOT open and close. Pore’s can expand and contract in response to hot or cold but they only do so as a result of changes in capillary flow (which means the amount they relax or contract is pretty minimal. As @ShawnF pointed out, they can be clogged/dirty/inflamed so they might appear larger (or actually BE larger because they are stuffed full of crud). Keeping pores clean and healthy allows them to be as big or small as they are meant to be, while chronically irritated pores might always be inflamed and their size distorted.

I think the bigger question is ...what does the state of our pores have to do with the price of tea in China? Why should/would opening pores before shaving and closing them after shaving matter? Isn’t the idea just to keep our skin as healthy as possible so shaving does as little damage as possible?

Heat causes skin to plum and expand givingthe appearance of Pores opening ( NO they do not ) Cold Water caused the muscles to constrict which in-turn also give the appearance of a pore closing, however the muscles do contrict and cause tension on the tissue arund the pore thus causing the whisker to stand straight up

There. Horse.......

Back