The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Plastic washer or not ?

Plastic washer between handle and bottom plate of DE razors does it matter?

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Can't hurt

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So lately I have noticed a lot of people using washers between handle and bottom plate of DE razors , what are your thoughts
Is it a good thing or does it effect the razors performance?

I’ve been wanting to do it, if only to just help save some of the nicer finishes on my 3 piece razors. I haven’t been able to find the proper washers yet though.

So lately I have noticed a lot of people using washers between handle and bottom plate of DE razors , what are your thoughts
Is it a good thing or does it effect the razors performance?
It was always my understanding that this basically did 2 things... Protect the bottom plate (a minor thing) and more importantly, allow you to loosen the handle to widen the gap a bit without the blade being loose (stays clamped).

I thought that is why there was one on my Henson AL. I then got word from Henson that it is actually the design of the cap / plate which allows this wiggle room, and a washer is solely unnecessary. Likely it's on the AL to protect the weaker metal?

So, I'm curious if what I thought I knew was actually all wrong...

Watching this thread for sure.

It was always my understanding that this basically did 2 things... Protect the bottom plate (a minor thing) and more importantly, allow you to loosen the handle to widen the gap a bit without the blade being loose (stays clamped).

I thought that is why there was one on my Henson AL. I then got word from Henson that it is actually the design of the cap / plate which allows this wiggle room, and a washer is solely unnecessary. Likely it's on the AL to protect the weaker metal?

So, I'm curious if what I thought I knew was actually all wrong...

Watching this thread for sure.
I have seen rubber washers to allow adjustability. I don't think a plastic one would have enough give to be adjustable.

You should never use a razor that's not tight when using modern blades. The old three holers were stiff as heck, and Gillette suggested that option on the Double and Single Ring razors only, not on razors with a completely removable handle. (the tube is attached to the baseplate and can't turn while you shave) Modern blades are almost completely cut in half, only the end tabs hold them together, and they offer no tension to a razor with a loosened handle. Thin flimsy modern razor blades need the support of being clamped in between the cap and baseplate to prevent chatter and rough shaves.

Very thin plastic washers to prevent wear on the baseplate are fine, thicker ones reduce thread engagement and allow some wiggle in the threads during shaving which could cause thread wear and possibly accelerate failure in zamak parts.

I use no washers, if I did I would use copper or brass and they would have to be paper thin.

I have seen rubber washers to allow adjustability. I don't think a plastic one would have enough give to be adjustable.
Ahh. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks John!

Don't I feel dumb now. Lol. Nothing new to see here folks. [emoji2957]

I recently stopped using it on My Wolfman WR2 (rinsed it right down the drain when I was cleaning it 😜) and decided not to replace it. I still have washers on both of my titanium Timeless Razors and if I forget again and they go down the drain I will not be replacing them .

You should never use a razor that's not tight when using modern blades. The old three holers were stiff as heck, and Gillette suggested that option on the Double and Single Ring razors only, not on razors with a completely removable handle. (the tube is attached to the baseplate and can't turn while you shave) Modern blades are almost completely cut in half, only the end tabs hold them together, and they offer no tension to a razor with a loosened handle. Thin flimsy modern razor blades need the support of being clamped in between the cap and baseplate to prevent chatter and rough shaves.

Very thin plastic washers to prevent wear on the baseplate are fine, thicker ones reduce thread engagement and allow some wiggle in the threads during shaving which could cause thread wear and possibly accelerate failure in zamak parts.

I use no washers, if I did I would use copper or brass and they would have to be paper thin.
Really? Nothin?

Really? Nothin?
Huh? If you are referring to my "nothing new to see here folks", I only meant my post. I'm typically wrong or behind in the knowledge base... Hence it's nothing new (ask my wife, I'm wrong all the time. Lol).

Yours, and a few others, were insightful. Thank you.

I found a cheap pack of 30 or so on Amazon and use them on my 3 pieces, figure it can't hurt to protect the metal on metal of these vintage razors as they continue to get older! Don't think I'd feel comfortable using them to loosen up the plates, though...

Huh? If you are referring to my "nothing new to see here folks", I only meant my post. I'm typically wrong or behind in the knowledge base... Hence it's nothing new (ask my wife, I'm wrong all the time. Lol).
I think he was saying that nobody had anything to say about his comment.

My personal preferences.
  • If it's not a plated razor, don't bother.
  • Unless you're OCD, then go ahead.
  • If it's a PAA Ascension, Douglas puts them on because they give you more adjustability.
  • I do think there's some potential that they'll add some additional torque to the threads, which probably doesn't matter for most razors, but be careful with softer metals.

I say razors are to be used and not babied. No washers for me. Wear and tear is part of their life cycle.

I say razors are to be used and not babied. No washers for me. Wear and tear is part of their life cycle.
No no no no....

No.

No.

I don't like the term "life cycle". I like words like "forever" and "you paid a lot, so of course it'll outlive you".

Sheesh! Davie-Downer over there. [emoji1787]

Yours, and a few others, were insightful. Thank you.
Nothing about you.

It seemed my post was roadkill,... folks drove by and ignored it.

I should preface what I am about to say with a warning...even if what I say sounds like it would be true, other than my own twisted logic I have no reason to know any better than anyone else.

Assuming we are talking about a more or less "typical" 3 piece type assembly I don't think a washer should be used, and IF one were used it should be as thin as possible. I am one that shares the opinion that using a washer would serve to misalign the threads and/or result in less than ideal joining or balancing of the handle and head. In the case of THIS type of 3 piece razor I fail to understand how a washer would allow for a change in blade exposure. (they say the little rubber ring on the rubberset 400 allows you to change the stiffness of the brush too...I'm baffled by that one too

I understand the desire to avoid scratches, particularly on a razor with a unique finish, but I would think if there were any scratches they would be made by the handle so they would always be covered by the handle when assembled...so I don't see the harm done. I also wonder why a newer razor would be made with a base plate metal that is so much softer than the handle that it is so easily scratched by the handle.

I guess I just question whether a razor maker who spends the time and effort to machine their razors to such specific tolerances would not intend the handle to be snugged up a specific way. I can definitely see using a washer to make a knock off cheapo razor function better.

Back