The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Placement of nylon washers for cosmetic reasons

RockMydut

Shave Newbie
That's been my assumption. Regarding the practicality of putting a nylon washer between the handle and the base plate of a safety razor. I've not read of any complaints made about scratching or wearing having any effect on the performance of someone's razor. For the sake of discussion would it be fair to think it's more a matter of vanity or anticipated cosmetic issue as opposed to preventing a specific malfunction?

I’ve never even considered putting a washer on a razor. One razor I bought came with a rubber o-ring, but I assumed it was there to hold the top together during shipping. I took it off prior to assembly. Never had any issues with any razor.

By the way, welcome to The Cadre. Be sure to introduce yourself in the Newbie Forum.

That's been my assumption. Regarding the practicality of putting a nylon washer between the handle and the base plate of a safety razor. I've not read of any complaints made about scratching or wearing having any effect on the performance of someone's razor. For the sake of discussion would it be fair to think it's more a matter of vanity or anticipated cosmetic issue as opposed to preventing a specific malfunction?
Hi @RockMydut welcome to the Cadre! I would agree with @Spider. I’ve never seen any damage between the base plate and the handle. I guess there is a chance for a scratch or a hair of wear, but this would be with years of daily use. Personally I’d say it’s a vanity issue for sure, not a functional practice. Much like taping the spine of a straight razor when honing.

My 1907 Single ring doesn't have any damage where the handle attaches to the baseplate. So if that doesn't need it.....Like, you said...just vanity.

I know that seems to be a trend on YouTube to use the washers. In my experience, I have never had any wear issues between the handle and the baseplate. The reason why artisans ship them with the washer is because the razor will get quite banged around during the shipping process that would not be happening in your den. If anything, using the washer could be detrimental if you use during the shaving process -because you would be putting pressure on a different part of the thread. Just my 2 cents.

Welcome!!!

It’s a razor. The older Gillettes have been through 50-60 years and of shaves and abuse and still perform and look great, without washers. So are they needed No, but it is your shave and your equipment. If you like rubber baby top cap bumpers then by all means knock your self out LOL

Welcome to the Cadre. Make sure to intro yourself and review the Terms of Usage

I think MOST of the newer razors that are shipped with a washer or o-ring are shipped that way either because the manufacturer has placed them there to protect the "new" state rather than as a matter of long term function. As pointed out, the vintage razors have faired well without such protections. I have a theory about those on youtube (or elsewhere) that insist on keeping the washers in place...I think they do this so they can use/test the razors then resell them as being new or like new.

I work here in Vegas at a place that manufactures electrical components for the military and transportation industry. We make them out of aluminum, brass and stainless steel before having them plated (usually in olive drab.....the military likes that color for some reason). We always ship out the finished component with washers and o-rings and dust caps and even in plastic bags so that the customer can take the pristine part out of the box and install it where it will be subjected to every kind of possible damage you can imagine (the pictures I have of burnt out components with zero plating damage....you can't imagine). But it's safe to say that under only the most extreme conditions (and certainly not what most of us can do in our bathrooms with little clothing on), there is very little need for a washer on a plated razor. But....it's your razor and if you want to keep the washer....no one on here will question that decision.

Has anyone considered the whole thing to be a conspiracy from the plastic washer industry to have us addicted to putting washers on our razors? The next thing you know, people will be using spray bottles to moisturize their soaps as they face lather. The bottle manufacturers are the same plastic washer people - I can feel it.

Back