The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Old Blades

Soap Thing

Shave Member
Active Duty
Is there a shelf life on blades? I was going to do a shave just for kicks with an old Gillette Blue blade with a date code of 1946. I’m presuming blades will just sit there indefinitely and not lose their sharpness but I’m just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be good as long as they don't rust. I've shaved with vintage blades without issue (unless they were just not good blades to begin with).

And I've shaved with new ones that felt like a sharpened butter knife. Ain't nothing to do but try 'em out.

I think it really all depends. Particular how they are stored. I find that blades exposed to excess humidity tend to dull over time. What that means for your blades? Who knows. Like @NurseDave says, you won't know until you give it a go.

The old carbon steel blades are more prone to edge corrosion than the newer stainless steel and coated blades. But as mentioned, it all depends on how they were stored.

Back