The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Oil Recommendations for Razors

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
I have an adjustable razor that needs to be lubricated. I’ve read many places that people use mineral oil - but wasn’t sure if there was a brand or if it comes in specific grades that I need to consider.

when i buy tto/adjustables in the wild/ebay etc i give them a good soak in dawn/hot water. then a soak with wd40.it clears/lubes the threads and internal parts and helps dissipate moisture. a quick external scrub with dawn and an old toothbrush/hot water rinse to finish.periodically i add a drop or 2 of mineral oil.i like to service them about once a year in the same fashion.they get hot water rinse and wipedown after each use as i change razors daily.never put away wet ;) .it may seem like overkill but 1 daily used gillette will suffer plate loss after a few years use.especially gold ones.the 70+ year old ones in nice/mint shape got little to no use when they were new.doubtful they would last 70+ years without issues when used daily from day 1.

Back