The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Occam Enoch, my thoughts

The Monkey

"I See the Good in Every Shave"
Legacy
I know that this razor has already won some fans and by no means do I want to rain in their parade but after a few shaves I'm not a fan.

First of all I love the looks of the razor. It feels good in the hand. The fit and finish are very nice. The only thing that I believe , construction wise) is that the retaining tabs for the blade should be taller. Right now the blade can easily slide off of them when tightening the handle. They aren't much higher than the blade. It sort of looks like the RX and the Classic Cobra had a child.

The shave is another matter. Loaded with a Proline (which is a very smooth shaver) I had high hopes. I had always wanted a Classic Cobra but cant justify the high price they demand. I was hoping that this would be a cheaper alternative. Using a shallow angle I felt the blade. Now I don't mind blade feel at all but this was unpleasant. Shaving was rough. I was afraid that it would bite me at any minute. Against the grain was the worst as I felt like it would dig into my skin if I put any kind of pressure on it. I ended up with a bunch of weeper! I put the blade in the Vector to make sure it wasn't the blade and the Vector preformed as smooth as it always did. I put the blade back into the Enoch as used it for 2 more days. The first was just as bad and the latest one was better. the last one didn't have any weepers but my face is sore.

I'm perplexed as other are raving about how smooth it is but this razor isn't for me.

Dang, sorry John. Weird for you to have such a drastically different experience than what seems to be most other folks. Thanks for sharing though!

I know that this razor has already won some fans and by no means do I want to rain in their parade but after a few shaves I'm not a fan.

First of all I love the looks of the razor. It feels good in the hand. The fit and finish are very nice. The only thing that I believe , construction wise) is that the retaining tabs for the blade should be taller. Right now the blade can easily slide off of them when tightening the handle. They aren't much higher than the blade. It sort of looks like the RX and the Classic Cobra had a child.

The shave is another matter. Loaded with a Proline (which is a very smooth shaver) I had high hopes. I had always wanted a Classic Cobra but cant justify the high price they demand. I was hoping that this would be a cheaper alternative. Using a shallow angle I felt the blade. Now I don't mind blade feel at all but this was unpleasant. Shaving was rough. I was afraid that it would bite me at any minute. Against the grain was the worst as I felt like it would dig into my skin if I put any kind of pressure on it. I ended up with a bunch of weeper! I put the blade in the Vector to make sure it wasn't the blade and the Vector preformed as smooth as it always did. I put the blade back into the Enoch as used it for 2 more days. The first was just as bad and the latest one was better. the last one didn't have any weepers but my face is sore.

I'm perplexed as other are raving about how smooth it is but this razor isn't for me.
Sorry to hear John. I, much like you, was hoping it would be a reasonable entry cost verses the classic Cobra. After hearing your comments in pm I was pretty certain that it wouldn't be for me either as you and I had similar feelings about the Rx. I could shave with it but it really felt too aggressive for me on a regular basis. The Vector will be hard to dethrone for me if it can be at all. I realize we all differ and it may be a perfect fit for some others. Thanks for your honest thoughts on it.

Nice thoughts John...even if the razor didn't work for you. These are the things that I like to hear so I can make good purchases.

At least you gave it a shot my friend. Sometimes things just don't work out for everyone.

Out of curiosity, would you happen to have any guarded blades and see if that might soften it up a bit? Still might not do much but, just to give it a go and see.

At least you gave it a shot my friend. Sometimes things just don't work out for everyone.

Out of curiosity, would you happen to have any guarded blades and see if that might soften it up a bit? Still might not do much but, just to give it a go and see.
I think I might have a few guarded blades. I also was told to ride the bar, so I'll try that

Back