The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Noble Otter "Hamami" Soap & Aftershave Review

MarkB

“TSC’s Happy Hogan”
Veteran
Good morning Cadre! I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend. Today I used "Hamami" for the first time and, as promised, here are my thoughts on it.
  1. Straight out of the tub, the "wet stone" accord is immediately evident. I don't know how it's possible to create that scent but they did it. Bravo Noble Otter!
  2. Very light floral notes out of the tub which become more evident once lather has been made. The citrusy bergamot and green-peppery geranium notes stand out most to me. I can detect an earthy note which I assume is from the saffron. Those other notes may be in there but I couldn't really pull them out. I believe using a scuttle and adding the element of heat, the scent would be incredible! I may have to try that tomorrow with the Baby Yaqi and my PAA travel scuttle.
  3. Soap performance was fantastic! I used the 28mm Yaqi with the Stirling travel bowl and building lather was almost effortless. I had enough for three passes with a lot left over in the bowl. Easily enough for two more passes if I so desired.
  4. The accompanying splash is basically identical to the soap. Close to two hours since applying it, I can still smell it. It has since settled into a light sandalwood note but I can still detect the floral aspects as well. I cannot smell tonka bean on either the soap or the splash.
Overall I'm extremely pleased with "Hamami". Despite its "wet stone" undertone, I found it to be a rather "warm" scent. I've been to Turkey (Antalya to be exact), but I didn't go to any bath houses while I was there so I can't comment on the accuracy of the scent. What I can say is that "Hamami" is an interesting addition to the chypre category. However I do not think this would be everyone's cup of (Turkish) tea. It is very "floral" (nigh feminine floral) forward to my nose so if you're not a fan of those type scents, this one may not be for you.

IMG-2985.jpg

Back