The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Newbie Introduction

MrNicky

Shave Newbie
Hi I’m Nick a latest newbie to the form.
I picked up wet shaving almost two years ago, and it’s been snowballing into quite a hobby. I equally collect and use DE and straight razors. I like watching Handle Barber Dave’s videos and thought I would check out TSC. Sending greetings from southwest Florida to everybody, still learning my way around.🤗

Welcome Nick @MrNicky ! Glad you could join us!

What are some of your favorite traditional shaving hardware/software pieces currently?

Welcome to The Cadre, and your new home in the Wet Shaving community! Good to have you here. Lots of amazing people here so anything you want to know, or need to ask, we're here for you!

Lots to see, read, and get involved with here. We're much more than just a wet shaving forum. I'm here for the camaraderie more than anything else. We have so much fun. In addition to the traditional SOTD type posts, we also have a lot of Shave VLOGers, we have a section of Shaving Journals, host bi-weekly Zoom Calls, play Forum Bingo bi-monthly, bi-monthly “fantasy” sumo contest, host an annual Holiday Gift and Card exchange, and so much more.

Aside from Shaving, we’re also into pipes, cigars, coffee, watches, guns, cars, astronomy, fitness, food, alcohol, pets, beekeeping, gardening, music, movies, and just about any other hobby out there. If you don’t see a thread already about a hobby you’re interested in…. start one!

All these activities make us more than just a Forum or Wet Shaving Community. We’re a Brotherhood, a Family, or simply put: The Cadre! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Please make sure to familiarize yourself with our Terms and Conditions Linked Here:
https://theshavingcadre.com/threads/tsc-terms-of-use-tou-revisions-updates-2-2021.3796/

Should you need any assistance in navigating the site or help please contact any of our friendly Concierge Staff.

@Spider , @NurseDave @heysi , @Fenster

or feel free to reach out to any of the owners of TSC
@BarberDave
@CVargo
@CBLindsay

@MrNicky

Welcome to the forum! We are a bunch of pack rats aren't we?? Are you honing your straight razors? If so, what is your progression?

Best wishes and I hope you enjoy hanging out with us!

Not honing yet that’s the next big threshold I want to work on getting too, but not rushing it. I have a pair of soviet straight razors that I’m holding on to specifically for practicing on honing.
My DE lineup is mostly gillettes with the oldest being a gold tech from the 40’s that I just recently acquired, after that there’s a fatboy and black beauty. On the more modern side there’s a king c Gillette and two Truefitt & hill DE’s.
Here’s some of my favorite straight razors
The first is a wade & Butcher faux frame back next is a Frederick Reynolds wedge, third is a le Grelot lotus, followed by three thirds- issards, and the rest are dovo’s.
Whenever I get around to starting to hone was planning on starting out with a Norton 4000/ 8000 stone to get my feet wet lol.
IMG_2059.jpeg

Not honing yet that’s the next big threshold I want to work on getting too, but not rushing it. I have a pair of soviet straight razors that I’m holding on to specifically for practicing on honing.
My DE lineup is mostly gillettes with the oldest being a gold tech from the 40’s that I just recently acquired, after that there’s a fatboy and black beauty. On the more modern side there’s a king c Gillette and two Truefitt & hill DE’s.
Here’s some of my favorite straight razors
The first is a wade & Butcher faux frame back next is a Frederick Reynolds wedge, third is a le Grelot lotus, followed by three thirds- issards, and the rest are dovo’s.
Whenever I get around to starting to hone was planning on starting out with a Norton 4000/ 8000 stone to get my feet wet lol.
View attachment 113797
Beautiful! Love the case! You can have my Norton 4000/8000 just let me know when you want it shipped. You’ll also need a flattening plate(like a DMT Coarse or Atoma 400), a 1000 grit stone for setting the bevel(like a Naniwa super stone or Professional stone), and a finisher(like a 12000 Naniwa, Jasper, black or translucent Arkansas, Coticule, or JNAT). There are a ton of other ways to do it like lapping films and pasted strops. Check all the options out and try what sounds like will be within your wheel house.

You’ll have some “fun,” with those Soviet blades! I worked harder than an ugly stripper, while trying to set the bevel on a Stiz Ракета(Rocket). One of the hardest steels out there…. It can be done! 😀

Beautiful! Love the case! You can have my Norton 4000/8000 just let me know when you want it shipped. You’ll also need a flattening plate(like a DMT Coarse or Atoma 400), a 1000 grit stone for setting the bevel(like a Naniwa super stone or Professional stone), and a finisher(like a 12000 Naniwa, Jasper, black or translucent Arkansas, Coticule, or JNAT). There are a ton of other ways to do it like lapping films and pasted strops. Check all the options out and try what sounds like will be within your wheel house.

You’ll have some “fun,” with those Soviet blades! I worked harder than an ugly stripper, while trying to set the bevel on a Stiz Ракета(Rocket). One of the hardest steels out there…. It can be done! 😀
that’s funny one of the soviets i was mentioning is a rocket as well, I guess they were popular over there. The other one has an acid etching on the blade of a bridge or skyline from what I remember without pulling it out. I appreciate you offering your Norton it would definitely get me started, I’ll DM you. Also wanted to see if you thought anything about the Belgian Ardennes Coticule’s and Pierre la lune French finishing stones? I’ve heard good things about them and I’m of the mind to pick some up down the road of honing.

that’s funny one of the soviets i was mentioning is a rocket as well, I guess they were popular over there. The other one has an acid etching on the blade of a bridge or skyline from what I remember without pulling it out. I appreciate you offering your Norton it would definitely get me started, I’ll DM you. Also wanted to see if you thought anything about the Belgian Ardennes Coticule’s and Pierre la lune French finishing stones? I’ve heard good things about them and I’m of the mind to pick some up down the road of honing.
They likely were not popular but were produced to hit a high production target. My wife, being a former Soviet can attest to her father's tractor plant producing tractors that would never be sold. This is so the managers could receive bonuses while the products rotted on the storage lots. I do not own any new production Ardennes Coticules, but I do own 4 vintage coticules which are fairly good, but there is quite some variance in their quality. Ardennes has a great reputation, but you're gonna pay for it. As to the La Lune stones, I have tried one on loan from a friend and I found it to be a really good pre-finishing stone that you could definitely shave off of, but I felt that the edge was even better once a finer stone like an Arkansas, Thuringian, or Jasper was used.

By all means feel free to start a thread in the honing form, where you may get a few more answers than my own. I'll bet several guys have more experience than I with the above-mentioned stones. I personally love edges off of Jasper, Japanese Natural Stones, and Eschers more than any other.

Hi I’m Nick a latest newbie to the form.
I picked up wet shaving almost two years ago, and it’s been snowballing into quite a hobby. I equally collect and use DE and straight razors. I like watching Handle Barber Dave’s videos and thought I would check out TSC. Sending greetings from southwest Florida to everybody, still learning my way around.
Welcome Nick.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Back