The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

new stones!

Don’t underestimate the value of small Coticule’s. I have a variety of sizes including a 3x9” and can say with certainty that small stones tend to be more versatile. It won’t take long before you learn to use them efficiently and appreciate their power

Don’t underestimate the value of small Coticule’s. I have a variety of sizes including a 3x9” and can say with certainty that small stones tend to be more versatile. It won’t take long before you learn to use them efficiently and appreciate their power
Amen, two of my vintage coticules are 1.25-1.5 inches wide by 5-5.5 long and they are amazing hones! You can find a lot of value in these smaller hones. Granted when starting out the extra real-estate on a 3X8 is really nice and helps you get the moves down, but once you start honing problem blades and smiling wedges, the benefits of a thin hone really shine through.

Amen, two of my vintage coticules are 1.25-1.5 inches wide by 5-5.5 long and they are amazing hones! You can find a lot of value in these smaller hones. Granted when starting out the extra real-estate on a 3X8 is really nice and helps you get the moves down, but once you start honing problem blades and smiling wedges, the benefits of a thin hone really shine through.
Exactly! A full width stone is great for a blade with perfect geometry (and little character) but a 1.25-1.5" width can be used on any geometry with great success. I guess its worth mentioning that the smaller stones really lend themselves to being hand held but they don't HAVE to be hand held. I like to stand at the sink with a drip/dribble of water running so I can quickly wet as needed.

Exactly! A full width stone is great for a blade with perfect geometry (and little character) but a 1.25-1.5" width can be used on any geometry with great success. I guess its worth mentioning that the smaller stones really lend themselves to being hand held but they don't HAVE to be hand held. I like to stand at the sink with a drip/dribble of water running so I can quickly wet as needed.
you make a good point. i would eventaully like to get one like barberdave has. its a really nice lookin stone and seems to be a good size. im used to using bigger stones, but i think with some practice i can make this one work for know.

Back