The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New member, long-time 'wet shaver'

Michael P

Jr. Shave Member
Hi, and thank you for this Forum.

I'm Michael P on this and other Forums (except a certain straight razor forum where I'm Michael Pz)

Been a 'wet shaver' for over 45 years, although back in the day, we just called it shaving. Shaved for years with my grandfather's Gillette, or Gillette blades, and Old Spice and later English triple milled soaps.

Today, I shave with a variety of DEs, SEs, shavettes, and for the past 4 years, predominantly straight razors. Went very slowly learning to shave with a straight, but it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I suppose it's because my grandfather would take me to Italian barbershops in New York where he'd get a straight razor shave and then tip the barber to give my 7-year old face a hot towel treatment, shave lather, and then use the dull side of the razor to give me a 'shave' and then a splash of aftershave, just like nonno.

It's an exciting time for this hobby, with all the new artisans and products.

Thanks again,

All the best,

Michael

Welcome Michael! Glad you could join us.

You’ve told us what kind of razors you enjoy, how about other gear or software? Any favorites?

Welcome Michael! Glad you could join us.

You’ve told us what kind of razors you enjoy, how about other gear or software? Any favorites?

Hi Chris:

Yikes, a good question, I'll try to keep it brief.

Razors? Custom straights-Max Sprecher by a mile. Vintage? Filarmonicas are my favorites. DEs? Wolfman, Charcoal, Timeless are at the top of my list. Vintage? My grandfather's TTO Gillette, Gillette Rocket, Hofritz slant

Soaps? Where to begin? Tallow/artisan-the usual suspects: Grooming Dept Kairos, Barrister and Mann Excelsior and the newer variation, Wholly Kaw Siero, the latest base from Ariana & Evans (Asian Pear)

Non-tallow/Italian: Nuàvia, Saponificio Varesino, Santa Maria Novella. Non-tallow artisan: Grooming Dept Nai base.

Class of its own: Sē'bŭm products

Brushes: Favorite Badgers: Declaration Grooming Batch 2s, Paladins, anything made entirely by Lee Sabini, Shavemac D01, Simpson Supers from the Grey Box era, Envy Shave Mountain White, and the Saponificio Varesino 2.0 Brush.

Favorite Synthetics: The Black Wolf knot by Wolf Whiskers and also provided by Envy Shave.

I'm sure I'm leaving some out, but that's what came to mind.

All the best,

Michael

Hi Chris:

Yikes, a good question, I'll try to keep it brief.

Razors? Custom straights-Max Sprecher by a mile. Vintage? Filarmonicas are my favorites. DEs? Wolfman, Charcoal, Timeless are at the top of my list. Vintage? My grandfather's TTO Gillette, Gillette Rocket, Hofritz slant

Soaps? Where to begin? Tallow/artisan-the usual suspects: Grooming Dept Kairos, Barrister and Mann Excelsior and the newer variation, Wholly Kaw Siero, the latest base from Ariana & Evans (Asian Pear)

Non-tallow/Italian: Nuàvia, Saponificio Varesino, Santa Maria Novella. Non-tallow artisan: Grooming Dept Nai base.

Class of its own: Sē'bŭm products

Brushes: Favorite Badgers: Declaration Grooming Batch 2s, Paladins, anything made entirely by Lee Sabini, Shavemac D01, Simpson Supers from the Grey Box era, Envy Shave Mountain White, and the Saponificio Varesino 2.0 Brush.

Favorite Synthetics: The Black Wolf knot by Wolf Whiskers and also provided by Envy Shave.

I'm sure I'm leaving some out, but that's what came to mind.

All the best,

Michael
High class all around Michael! That’s quite an awesome list!

Back