The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New Lawn Mower Recommendations

clyde72

Almond Milk Lattes are my POWER
Legacy
So after 20 years of use and overall great service, my Scotts mower has died. The engine is kaput, so time for a new mower.

After doing some research online the top two contenders are the Honda HRX217VKA and the Husqvarna HU800AWDX/BBC.

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of either of these mowers? Do you have one you recommend? I want self propelled, 190cc Engine, and mulching / bagging capability.

Father in Law had a Husqvarna but returned as was not what he wanted. Nothing wrong with it. I get good service from my Husqvarna weed eater but if I had a choice and price wasn't an issue I'd go Honda for sure. My propane floor buffer is a Honda 13 hp engine and there engines can't be beat as far as I'm concerned. My opinion and worth every penny you paid for it. Cheers Craig

In my experience both Honda and Huskvarna make good/great small engine equipment. I might be partial to Huskvarna for outdoor power equipment. I think both brands are built in a way that is intended to be maintained for years rather than disposable.
I would focus on the ergonomics and bag/blade setup and pick the one that seems to please you most. I’ve had good running mowers with odd bagging set ups that pretty much render the bag non-functional.
Also take a quick look at your local (non-bigbox) outdoor power equipment repair shop for parts, most OPR shops carry parts for both brands but Huskvarna seems to be more common.

I went electric when I bought my last mower. I did the Kobalt 80v. It has proven perfect for my yard size. But to answer the question I would go honda if I didn't go electric.

Father in Law had a Husqvarna but returned as was not what he wanted. Nothing wrong with it. I get good service from my Husqvarna weed eater but if I had a choice and price wasn't an issue I'd go Honda for sure. My propane floor buffer is a Honda 13 hp engine and there engines can't be beat as far as I'm concerned. My opinion and worth every penny you paid for it. Cheers Craig
Thanks Dave! They both have a Honda Engine.
In my experience both Honda and Huskvarna make good/great small engine equipment. I might be partial to Huskvarna for outdoor power equipment. I think both brands are built in a way that is intended to be maintained for years rather than disposable.
I would focus on the ergonomics and bag/blade setup and pick the one that seems to please you most. I’ve had good running mowers with odd bagging set ups that pretty much render the bag non-functional.
Also take a quick look at your local (non-bigbox) outdoor power equipment repair shop for parts, most OPR shops carry parts for both brands but Huskvarna seems to be more common.
Thanks Chris! That is something I planned on taking into consideration when I go look at them.
I went electric when I bought my last mower. I did the Kobalt 80v. It has proven perfect for my yard size. But to answer the question I would go honda if I didn't go electric.
Thanks Chad!
You can just do engine switch. And you can choose Briggs, Honda, Kawasaki...
Thanks! That thought did occur to me but, the transmission went out 2 or 3 years ago and a replacement is about $125 if I remember correctly and it looks like a new engine would run around $300 so $425 for both, that's pretty much 2/3 the price of a new mower. Time I figure new blade, drive belt, filter(s), etc. I'm pretty much at the price of a new mower.

No experience with either mower, but have used a lot of job site generators that have Honda engines. They make an incredibly reliable small engine. My pro chainsaws are Huskie's though, and I have no complaints with them.

I will say that I was looking very hard at the Honda mowers when I was going to buy one. My daughter bought me a Craftsman before I could pull the trigger though. It's a nice mower, but I wish I'd have gotten the Honda first.

Big fan of Honda engines here. Although one could be tempted into playing with a harbor freight engine.

I am convinced ethanol is wreaking havoc on small engines. I could get one with minor repair to last a proverbial lifetime. Not sure if it is simply cheaper construction or a combo of both factors.

No experience with either mower, but have used a lot of job site generators that have Honda engines. They make an incredibly reliable small engine. My pro chainsaws are Huskie's though, and I have no complaints with them.

I will say that I was looking very hard at the Honda mowers when I was going to buy one. My daughter bought me a Craftsman before I could pull the trigger though. It's a nice mower, but I wish I'd have gotten the Honda first.
Thanks Shawn! My chainsaws are Husqvarnas also, love them.

After going and looking at mowers today after work. I've decided to go with a Honda, the HRX217HYA, which is a little more expensive. I went to Home Depot and looked at them. Did you know they have all the push mowers on shelves? Or at least at the 3 Home Depots and 2 Lowes I went to do, and they are strapped to the shelve so you can't have them take them down to better examine them. Fortunately the local shop I had time to get to before they closed, sells Honda's and I was able to get a "hands on" look and decided I like the way the speed is controled and the fact you can let go of the handle and the motor will keep running, on this model. Interestingly they are $20 dollars cheaper than Home Depot and they will assemble, adjust, and checkout for free. Honda normally has a 5 year warranty, but through July 17 (I think) they are extending the warranty to 6 years on the HRX series. Oh and the 2019 models have a 200cc engine vs the 190cc the Husqvarna has.
I've checked out several reviews tonight and haven't seen a bad one yet. So all this combined has pushed me to this model. If all goes as planned I'll go after work tomorrow and pick one up at the local shop. Just have to check on other local dealer out to be sure and get the best deal.
Thanks to everyone for their input!!

Only buy Marine gas (non-ethanol) for any small engine built prior to 2018. 2018 and newer some (not all) are rated to run ethanol up to 10%. Please check the owners manual on these ones. Plenty of experience with the effects of ethanol gas coming through our service department at work.

Late in reply, but if your yard is not gigantic, I would recommend one of the newer cordless electric models. We own an EGo 56V model with a 5 amp hour battery and it's performed like a champ for our large city lot over the last 5 years. Unfortunately, it looks like Home Depot is no longer carrying the EGo, but we've been really happy with an electric.

Back