The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New DE razor acquisition

BrisketGuy

Shave Member
Pearl Classic Safety Razor Open Comb. Why? Just because I love the beautiful handle. Seen reviews on it that says it's mild for an open comb. Will find out. Putting a feather blade in it. Probably be my shave of the day. No straight razor until the nick I gave myself yesterday healsšŸ˜‰

Just bought and tried the bevel DE shave starter set. Here's my first shave and impressions of it.
Razor I think is ok. But the blades dulled down enough during first pass that it started pulling and tugging. Had to change blades between each pass and still got several nicks and weepers. Shave cream is excellent, can take alot of water and very slick. Preshave oil is on same level as Leaf preshave oil. Scent is same as shave cream and balm. Nice citrus barbershop scent. They're disposable safety razor is spot on, but this Bevel aluminum is more aggressive. Gonna try different blades because I think it's the blades not the razor. Handle is fine for 1 pass, but becomes very slick , used alum block at first to maintain grip. Then switched handle out from my Hensonrazor handle to fix slippery handle issues. Gonna stick my favorite blade in first (feather) and see if the blade is the cause. Never had to use a blade a pass before, so betting this will fix issues with razor. Let you know in next post for this razor. Put a jewelry scope on blades, they're jagged. Gonna contact Bevel to mention it. Bet they'll send me replacement blades. Think I got defective blades. Quality control issue. I'll keep you updated if this fixes it.
20230901_200958.jpg

Last edited:
Just bought and tried the bevel DE shave starter set. Here's my first shave and impressions of it.
Razor I think is ok. But the blades dulled down enough during first pass that it started pulling and tugging. Had to change blades between each pass and still got several nicks and weepers. Shave cream is excellent, can take alot of water and very slick. Preshave oil is on same level as Leaf preshave oil. Scent is same as shave cream and balm. Nice citrus barbershop scent. They're disposable safety razor is spot on, but this Bevel aluminum is more aggressive. Gonna try different blades because I think it's the blades not the razor. Handle is fine for 1 pass, but becomes very slick , used alum block at first to maintain grip. Then switched handle out from my Hensonrazor handle to fix slippery handle issues. Gonna stick my favorite blade in first (feather) and see if the blade is the cause. Never had to use a blade a pass before, so betting this will fix issues with razor. Let you know in next post for this razor. Put a jewelry scope on blades, they're jagged. Gonna contact Bevel to mention it. Bet they'll send me replacement blades. Think I got defective blades. Quality control issue. I'll keep you updated if this fixes it.
View attachment 118386

Contacted Bevel, Fantastic response to problem. Mentioned the Jewelry scope examination, They're sending me 20 new razor blades to replace the 20 blades that came with razor
Got a confirmation email of next day air UPS shipment. But due to American holiday won't probably get until Tuesday. So far, I guess costumer support will be excellent.

View attachment 118386
Update, trying different blades while waiting on replacement Bevel blades. Feather blade works but a bit to much for this razor. Since Bevel razor blades are thinner and more flexible than standard DE blades, tried Henson's RK blades which are thinner also. Definitely right choice. Need to be careful with this razor, light no pressure or blade will chatter like crazy with the blade gap and exposure this has. Razor supposed to be designed for 1 pass shave for people with coarse curly hair. It does a real good socially acceptable 1 pass like intended . If you have really sensitive skin, wouldn't recommend because of aggressiveness. But the disposable is a medium aggressive that probably be good for travel if TSA will allow it on carry-on, otherwise just check your luggage in instead of carrying on

Update, trying different blades while waiting on replacement Bevel blades. Feather blade works but a bit to much for this razor. Since Bevel razor blades are thinner and more flexible than standard DE blades, tried Henson's RK blades which are thinner also. Definitely right choice. Need to be careful with this razor, light no pressure or blade will chatter like crazy with the blade gap and exposure this has. Razor supposed to be designed for 1 pass shave for people with coarse curly hair. It does a real good socially acceptable 1 pass like intended . If you have really sensitive skin, wouldn't recommend because of aggressiveness. But the disposable is a medium aggressive that probably be good for travel if TSA will allow it on carry-on, otherwise just check your luggage in instead of carrying on
Update, just got replacement blades from bevel on Tuesday. Definitely an improvement on what came with razor. But very mild blades, where razor binds and holds blades is pretty high, requiring slow short strokes work best. Shaving in fast or fast and long strokes can cause alot of blade chatter causing nicks and weepers. Out of the 3 blades I've tested in it. (Bevel, feather, rk for Henson razor). Have to recommend rk for Henson razor . Using slow short yo medium strokes
Stopping shave stroke if feeling blade stall yo prevent blade chatter. Don't recommend this razor for beginners. This razor can and will bite if not using extremely light pressure. Almost a no touch shaver. And I love aggressive razors and straight razor. Don't like this razor, but others may not have same opinion. Everyone's faces (skin) is different

Back