The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Need opinions please

DocHoliday0831

Won't Share His Sugar Daddy
Legacy
Please give me your opinions and which model of the maker you chose if possible. I am considering a purchase of one of these or possibly another one if the opinions swing that way

I’m no expert on straights, but my eye is always caught by a simple, clean SR that has a thumb notch or leans toward a French tip. A cleaned up Wade & Butcher comes to mind most easily, one with a nice, beefy tang.

Damascus blades are nice too, but I’d probably never use one since they are too nice.

In all honesty, I do not have experience with either. But a Filarmonica is further up my list of one's that I want to try. My current favorite in my limited experience is a Waterville Cutlery.

You can't go wrong with either a CVH or a Fili. Both are quality steel and will give you fantastic shaves. Having said that, I voted for Heljestrand simply because it's harder to find a decent looking Fili for a decent price. Not impossible, but much more difficult. Swedish steel is also insanely hard. It takes a dogs age to set the bevel and hone it compared to most other types, but once it takes an edge it holds it for a very long time.

You certainly don't need to limit yourself to those names either. One of my best looking razors is a Paul Kohl "The Fisher". I picked it up for an ridiculously low price, and it looks like it had never touched a hone before. Search the bay and you might be surprised at what you find.

If you do get a Fili, check the gen. I got burned a bit not knowing that the last gen they made wasn't very good steel. I traded a custom damascus for it and it sits in my shop for a template now...

Kind of the same thinking as Eric...I have a few Heljestrands and have a Fili inbound. The Mk*31's I have are some of my best shavers, bar none, and I don't think that the Fili will shave the 2, 3 or 4x better that the cost reflects, if they shave better at all.

Shawn was dead on regarding being aware of the generation of whichever Fili you choose to possibly purchase. The earlier generations are better steel, but when the granddaughter took over, she started importing Pakistani steel, I believe for 4th or 5th generation razors.

Back