The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Need a new soap

Hello
I have been a ghost for a very long time, but hope to be back in the discussions more now.

I have been shaving with two different soaps (stirling almond creme and oleo melonade.)
Of the two I find myself reaching for the oleo. Mainly because I have been shaving right after a face wash and not a shower. I feel the oleo has a better glide for me than the stirling. The stirling seems to ”dry” on my face before I can to those areas. Also, I get far less weepers with the oleo than the stirling.
I absolutely love the scents that stirling has I just am struggling with the lather drying.

Anyways I am about to the bottom of both tubs and need to order something so I thought I would see what recommendations you all had for a soap that has great glide and cushion, plus has a very pleasant scent (citrus or almond).

I appreciate you guys!

Glad to see you pop in man!

Boy is that a can of worms you’ve opened there! :ROFLMAO:

Bummer Stirling isn’t working for ya.

CBL has a couple citrusy scents. The tonsorial line is proving a great value for a number of folks. And Chris is very good about working with you to get you what you’re looking for.

Lisa’s Natural Herbal Creations also has a fun selection of unique scents.

Both are top quality for shaves!

CBL Soaps
LNHC

My first pick would be CBL Premium LIne. It’s the absolute best!

Beyond that I’d look at Lisa’s or Mystic Water.

Glad to see you pop in man!

Boy is that a can of worms you’ve opened there! :ROFLMAO:

Bummer Stirling isn’t working for ya.

CBL has a couple citrusy scents. The tonsorial line is proving a great value for a number of folks. And Chris is very good about working with you to get you what you’re looking for.

Lisa’s Natural Herbal Creations also has a fun selection of unique scents.

Both are top quality for shaves!

CBL Soaps
LNHC
Thank you

@G'ville Ute, I definitely have a similar facial drying experience if I shave after washing my face in the shower. For that reason, I shave before a shower (works much better for my skin)!

As to needing a soap that doesn't dry out on you whilst shaving, in addition to the ones already listed above I highly suggest looking at the latest formula's from these artisans:

-Zingari Man (Sego base)
-Wholly Kaw (Siero base)
-Declaration Grooming (Milksteak base)
-Murphy & McNeil (Kodiak base)
-Grooming Department (Nai base)
-Midnight & Two (new formula)
-Arianna & Evans (strained yogurt)
-Barrister & Man Reserve

These are especially known to produce a very slick, heavily wet, silky, yogurty, almost Elmer's glue-like, very shiny lather! No light, airy, frothy, or foamy qualities, nor drying out of these soaps while shaving!

Wow! With the just few posts here...I think anything that I would recommend is listed in brand at least. But I will give a whack at it...

CBL in California Sunrise is a nice citrus scent that isn't straight up citrus. It's not almond...but CBL's Roasted Oatmeal Stout is sort of in that wheelhouse.

Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations has Florida Freeze that is a nice citrus scent and an excellent performer as well.

I'm a big fan of Mystic Water as well. Michelle has a Almond Vanilla soap as well as Orange Spice That I am a fan of the scents.

Wholly Kaw, Decloration Grooming, and Ariana & Evans are all soaps I love and perform well. But there lineup changes so much I am not sure what they offer related to citrus or almond. Another soap that isn't talked about much is Cold River Soap Works. Their Select or Glide versions of soap are excellent and offer a few citrus type of soaps.

Anyway...just my two cents. And welcome back @G'ville Ute !!!

Siliski has an almond soap and is a good performer.

You look to be in a good position to go on a sample binge. You can amass a fair amount of samples from various soap makers and their selection of scents at Maggards. You can open up your first hand knowledge of the ever-growing shaving soap world without spending too much money.

You look to be in a good position to go on a sample binge.

There's also the soap sample pass around!!!!

For almond, I would say Cella. It's marzipan - sweet almond and cherry. Not my cup of tea, but it performs great. Many people l❤it.
For citrus, the Barrister & Mann Seville is good. So is Tonsorial Parlour & Tonsorium from Catie's Bubbles. And from Stirling - Margarita's in the Attic, Glacial Lemon Chill (if you like menthol), Orange Chill, Lemony Orange, and Bergamot Lavender. Stirling also has Arkadia - which is like Tere d'Hermes cologne (dirty orange - orange and vetiver). You might also consider any of the 4711 products. It's a classic, old school, citrus.

Last edited:
so I thought I would see what recommendations you all had for a soap that has great glide and cushion, plus has a very pleasant scent (citrus or almond).
Hmm. I don't know much about almond scented soaps so what I suggest is limited to a soap which has some element of citrus. Also I have been trying most of the newest bases.

Given those factors and your criteria, I would suggest Zingari Man The Magician in the Sego base (tallow). Here is what the maker says about the scent: " Conjured from Oakmoss, Orange Blossom and Fern. This blend is bright, clean and unique. Fresh oakmoss is paired with the citrus floral orange blossom with a bright green note." This soap is, in my opinion, elite and on the cutting edge.

For a tried and true standard, I would recommend Mike's Natural Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper. Here is the real citrus scent as only essential oil is used.

Finally, you may also want to take a look at the Barrister & Mann seasonal Clusterfig in their new Excelsior base. This is an out of the box suggestion. B&M describes it as follows: "Clusterfig is a soft, evanescent blend of green fig, orange blossom, jasmine, amber (the old-school benzoin/labdanum/vanilla version), lemon, apple, and violet." Clusterfig is soft but really nice.

Back