The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Naniwa home progression

MilkCrate

"I am a Milk Crate with Dreams"
Lynne Abrams at SRD has a video of a Naniwa 1k-12k progressions. It’s at

1k Stone Bevel set (with pressure)
40 circles one side
40 circles other side
20-25 “X” strokes

5k Stone
40 circles one side (with pressure)
40 circles other side (with pressure)
20 circles one side (no pressure)
20 circles other side (no pressure)
5 “X” strokes

8k Stone
6-10 “X” strokes (blade weight only)

12k Stone
10 “X” strokes (blade weight only)

I tried this once on a razor, but I don’t recall the results. I think they were ok. On the last 2 restoration razors, I tried something different, I just went by feel. My results from that were 50/50.

I’ll keep plugging along and see where I land. Just wanted to document this in case it’s somewhat helpful.

Learned a lot from his videos on the topic of honing. I think once you have been using a particular setup for a while you learn how it should feel but systems like this are great tools for learning.

I watched this when I first started (or one like it), but I gave up counting laps a long time ago. I rely more on feel and watching my scratch pattern now. The problem with counting is, 50 laps on a blade that has been tempered to 56HRC is going to remove a lot more material than on a blade that has been tempered to 60HRC.
You can get variations from the same manufacturer, so you never really know without testing where you are at in blade hardness.

Yeah, I think I’m starting to get the hang of going by feel now. When using lapping film it was a counted lap system also. I think when you’re new, counting gives you something to aim for. But if you pay attention, you can feel the changes.

Back