The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My Shillelagh

WOW, I thought this was going to be a follow up video to that stupendous :ROFLMAO: hit by The Knack! My Sharona
My Shillelagh......

I'll have to post a picture of my black gum tree cane I call my shillelagh! Love that thing. When I bought it I felt like I overpaid. No, the deal of a lifetime. If you want to see how strong that wood is, do a search of someone splitting gum wood, or Tupelo as it's also called. LOL, I use wood to heat. I couldn't have split this stuff by hand on the best day of my youth!

I'll have to post a picture of my black gum tree cane I call my shillelagh! Love that thing. When I bought it I felt like I overpaid. No, the deal of a lifetime. If you want to see how strong that wood is, do a search of someone splitting gum wood, or Tupelo as it's also called. LOL, I use wood to heat. I couldn't have split this stuff by hand on the best day of my youth!
Sounds a lot like blackthorn.

Excellent link. I got another complement the other day on that ugly stick! I took a picture of the old man's business card that made it. It was called "Tenesee Talking Sticks" and that cane lives up to it's name; folks approach me all the time to talk about it!, Lol!

Which brings up a perfect "thread hijack type question"....

Do you tell other gents (or ladies for that matter) that you like their accessory choice, or get approached by others much? I got to complement a gent wearing a nice hat the other day and he thanked me and grinned ear to ear. Made ME feel better than him probably!

Excellent link. I got another complement the other day on that ugly stick! I took a picture of the old man's business card that made it. It was called "Tenesee Talking Sticks" and that cane lives up to it's name; folks approach me all the time to talk about it!, Lol!

Which brings up a perfect "thread hijack type question"....

Do you tell other gents (or ladies for that matter) that you like their accessory choice, or get approached by others much? I got to complement a gent wearing a nice hat the other day and he thanked me and grinned ear to ear. Made ME feel better than him probably!
I do that sometimes.

Here’s my walking stick. Made from twisted (corkscrew) willow. A friend’s dad made this for me when I was in high school.

0030E2A3-9A4B-49D5-B73B-9D7029CEE18F.jpeg

But if I really want to crack skulls, I’d break out my Maasai Rungu, the African version of a shillelagh. I bought this when deployed to Djibouti.

E38745A5-155E-4118-ACAB-51AB8B0DCD13.jpeg

That latter one looks like a great noggin knocker! :love:
Looks like it would be great in the hand if it were long enough for a walking stick.... I've just spent a half hour looking into one of these!

And yes, it looks like it could be an awesome tool for punctuating your sentences after a good lecture. Especially if one was without his revolver.

Here’s my walking stick. Made from twisted (corkscrew) willow. A friend’s dad made this for me when I was in high school.

View attachment 42599

But if I really want to crack skulls, I’d break out my Maasai Rungu, the African version of a shillelagh. I bought this when deployed to Djibouti.

View attachment 42600
That's awesome @Spider , but for some reason I'm more impressed with the wood floor. Maybe it's the camera work, but that wood looks wicked cool.

Back