The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

More stuff I saw at the antique store

That was a shop I had NOT been in for at least 4 or 5 months because they Never had anything..
Isn't that the way it always is? I usually give my antique shops a month long cool down period, after I've cleaned them out, before I'll go back. The stores that NEVER have anything new might get visited once every 3-6 months. Now, I do have my name on every list for straight razors and shaving items. I rarely get a call and when I do, I rarely see anything interesting, but from time to time a real gem comes from all that waiting. In my experience, you usually find a ton of GREAT stuff all at once and then you won't see anything awesome again for a few months. Granted, you can almost certainly find a few crusty Gillettes, broken straights, and old spice mugs every time you go out, but the truly unique and interesting items take a decent amount of work and many many visits to the stores. Or as some call it LUCK...

Honestly though I didn't get any of it. When I got to go in there it was around the same time as the twins 7th birthday and also my dads birthday was 3 days after the twins...
Maybe I will get the chance to go back and see if I really want any of it.. The cologne looked nice and I have seen a lot of people on here like it a lot.. There are only a few things I would really like to get But the MAIN thing I can Never Ever find in my price range !!

Last edited:
The cologne looked nice and I have seen a lot of people on here like it a lot..
Am I reading that right? $35 for that tiny bottle of Cologne? I bought the same size bottle at an antique store for $3. You can buy the huge bottle for $30-$40.

Yes that's what
Am I reading that right? $35 for that tiny bottle of Cologne? I bought the same size bottle at an antique store for $3. You can buy the huge bottle for $30-$40.
Yes that's what price they had it at. I know it says 1950 red cap so I didn't know if that made a difference. But I did Not get it. The funny thing is I have never smelled it before and don't have a bottle of it. I knew you said you like the stuff but I wasn't gonna blind buy it. I thought the price seemed high so thanks for the heads up on the price being outrageous.

I visited 2 nice antique stores near Santa Ynez Ca last weekend hoping to find a few safety razors. Not a single one. Apparently I need to be looking more in your neck of the woods.
Safety razors are everywhere out here.. some for very cheap. I want to find a Rubberset 400 handle for a good deal. It doesn't matter if it's dirty and doesn't have a knot.. I can clean it and replace the knot but the only ones I found and that was only once we're in extremely poor shape and we're still priced through the roof !!

Always neat to see stuff in the wild, but I don't see any amazing finds for the money there. Those types of situations irk me a bit, "oh boy shave stuff.....ahh man all overpriced common stuff...". Good luck and happy hunting.

Yes that's what

Yes that's what price they had it at. I know it says 1950 red cap so I didn't know if that made a difference. But I did Not get it. The funny thing is I have never smelled it before and don't have a bottle of it. I knew you said you like the stuff but I wasn't gonna blind buy it. I thought the price seemed high so thanks for the heads up on the price being outrageous.
You're not missing a thing. If you want a better soap/as with the 4711 scent, may I recommend DRH Arlington.

Back