The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Mixed knot

Quijote

La Mancha's Best Shaver
Legacy
First Responder
Does anyone here have experience with mixed knots, specifically Badger/Boar knots. Someone offered to give me a handle with any knot I want in it and I was considering this one as it would be something new to me.

I have contemplated buying one before but have never actually pulled the trigger.

Problem solved. I told him that I was considering the mixed or a larger badger and he said that he would make handles for both. I just have to send him the knots.

Lol easy fix. My only experience with a mixed knot was the Omega Mixed Midget. It was a pretty good knot, though it felt like a boar and looked like a badger. I've seen a couple recently that I've considered checking out, but haven't pulled any triggers yet.

I have a "mistura" Which is a badge and boar mix. I feel instead of bringing the best of hairs it has the weakness of each. It has some scratch and not enough backbone. I didn't really enjoy it so it went into the drawer.

I have fallen in love with my horse hair brush though. Do you have one of these?

I snagged a NOS Crabtree&Evelyn Lucite handled shaving brush off of eBay a while back that has a mixed badger/boar knot. I like it, but it is too small for my taste at ~18mm knot.

The experience has me wondering about some of the individual mixed knots that are available now. I also read that every self respecting wet shaver should have at least one badger/boar mixed knot brush in their arsenal. Who am I to question that logic?

Thanks guys. I have not tried a horse yet. I purchased a 26mm mixed and a 26mm 2 band from Maggards today and am having them sent directly to Steve. I have the 22mm 2 band set in a Made Rite 1000 handle and love it, can't wait to try the larger one.

Quijote said:
Thanks guys. I have not tried a horse yet. I purchased a 26mm mixed and a 26mm 2 band from Maggards today and am having them sent directly to Steve. I have the 22mm 2 band set in a Made Rite 1000 handle and love it, can't wait to try the larger one.

The 2 horse hair brushes I have tried are the two most offensive smelling brushes I have ever owned.

Cvargo said:
The 2 horse hair brushes I have tried are the two most offensive smelling brushes I have ever owned.

One would think they would be similar to....tumbleweed

My synthetic is larger than I prefer (26 mm), but it's ok. For something I won in a PIF....... I had a thought that I might PIF it and buy a smaller one - closer in size to my boar. Seems to me a synthetic would be great for a travel brush, but my Atomic Rocket is just to big for that application.

Back