The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MIssing end cap gunk

woodpusher

TSC’s International Man of Meh
There is some awful looking gunk where an endcap used to be on a 48-50 crat (one of Ed's old ones, can't find the missing piece). Either this is an attempt to create a fix with lead or .... more likely and my guess is that this is solder from how Gillette used to affix them.

Is repair as simple* as removing the old solder (heat or sanding/filing?) and the soldering on a new one? (or even using some JB Weld)
If so, any ideas (outside of Razor Emporium) on how to source a replacement endcap?
If not such a simple task, what's the repair process?

1651441200779.png

1651441225866.png

You might check with Back Roads Gold. I have heard a lot good things about them.

Razor emporium has a video on replacing the end cap. I'll try to find a link for you (YouTube).

I believe he goes through in fair amount of detail what he does. He definitely uses a special torch to solder the replacement on. If I'm remembering it correctly, the originals were also just soldered on. So it's not particularly a cob job.

I watched his video and it seems simple enough, just don't want to spend $30US + shipping on an end cap. Solder is solder; any flame will do.

I watched his video and it seems simple enough, just don't want to spend $30US + shipping on an end cap. Solder is solder; any flame will do.
Wow, that is steep just for an end cap. Are Aristocrats different, or are all vintage Gillette ttos the same? Maybe a goodwill or some such you can luck out on an Superspeed or such with caps?

Also, Techichi seems to end up with broken razors for parts from time to time... Might be worth seeing what he has or can scavenge?

Good luck.

An end cap is an end cap is an end cap. RE has nickel ones for $20US but that's still way too much, and buyer a junker w/shipping is prabably close to that ball park.
It is what it is. 🤷‍♂️

I use a Fat Boy that came to me without end caps......I had the razor rehab-ed and re-plated and left the end caps off. Gives it character.

Back