The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Meissner Tremonia soaps

kingfisher

1/2 Straight Razor 1/2 Shavett ...ALL Man!
Veteran
Just curious....anybody still using these soaps? I remember there was a ton of hype about them when they first came out a few years ago. I got a couple of samples and was largely unimpressed.

For me the lather was weird, different from any other shave soap I've ever used. In the end it was almost like it formed two types of lather simultaneously, one of which was thick and stayed tight to the skin, the other of which was airy/foamy and was sort of farther away from the skin.

It always, always looked foamier than the lathers I preferred, but generally gave me a better shave than I expected. Sometimes the "inner layer" of the lather was almost sticking to the face, causing the DE to not have as much glide as I like it to have.

Also, the scents were not for me. I tried Dark Limes and Pink Grapefruit, the former of which smelled virtually nothing like lime and the latter that had absolutely NO grapefruit scent whatsoever.

I loved the packaging and name of the company, but not so much the soap itself.

What about you guys? Did you try it? Did you like it? Which scent(s) did you enjoy? Are you still using it, or has it been eclipsed by a newer artisan?

I had some samples once upon a time. One was a nice clean aquatic scent. I really liked the scent. Performance was just okay. I haven't revisited

I didn't try them. Don't know why but wasn't very attracted by them, plus they were costly.

I have a sample I’ve tried a couple times, I really like the dark intense scent...but oye, the stuff doesn’t lather well. I chalk up the failures to my not being able to use samples effectively. The sample I have is ultra hard and waxy making it even harder to figure out. I never went beyond the sample because the cost was WAY beyond what I’m willing to shell out based on scent alone.

I've made my way through a container of the Indian Flavour a year or two ago. It's a solid soap, but I don't think it's exceptional in any manner. (I do like the packaging though.) If I found a unique scent that I absolutely loved, I would think about buying it again, but it's not currently on my restock list. I've got a couple of samples though that I'll use sometime to see if I love the scents.

Back