The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Masonic symbols? Help me here.

Some of those symbols are used in Blue Lodge Masonry. The ladder, the trowel (if that's what it's supposed to be) & the moon all are meaningful to Masons. Not sure what the thing between the trowel and ladder is supposed to be.

I'm thinking this was a one off by someone in the factory. I don't feel like this is a true Masonic razor. It is interesting and old.....

I'm not going to pick it up, it has little significance to me and I don't think it would have much value to a mason without the traditional imagery.

Thanks guys

I'm with you though, that it doesn't have the major symbols you'd expect to find. I've been searching and I still can't figure out a couple of them.

@ Luecke3262 I'm gonna send the pics to someone that might know more about that razor and se if he has any info on it if that's okay..
Mark, Dave, and I are all Masons, so I think we've got it covered. But it would be interesting if they did figure something out, that we didn't know.

Mark, Dave, and I are all Masons, so I think we've got it covered. But it would be interesting if they did figure something out, that we didn't know.
Yeah I understand and yes I know you all are.. But I know a guy (haha) actually several who make and sell razors for a living who seem to be encyclopedia's of knowledge on straights that may be able to give us some info on the maker and the other symbols and I will post what is allowed....

Yes, I'm intrigued. It is a WAY cool razor. There were lots of fraternal organizations about 125 years ago, that, if they are still around, are very low on number of members.

Yes, I'm intrigued. It is a WAY cool razor. There were lots of fraternal organizations about 125 years ago, that, if they are still around, are very low on number of members.
This is a good point. Most, if not all of the fraternal organizations (outside of college frats) started with Freemasons who split off. So much of the symbology would be borrowed/shared and May account for the major freemasonry symbols being absent.

This is a good point. Most, if not all of the fraternal organizations (outside of college frats) started with Freemasons who split off. So much of the symbology would be borrowed/shared and May account for the major freemasonry symbols being absent.
I belong to a Lodge where when I was installed as Master one of my main lecturerers was a gent born around the turn of the 20th century. He had so much history in his head. He had belonged to the Odd Fellows, another that I've studied that is still, but barely hanging on, "Pythius" I believe was in the name... He used to talk about the time he went to a meeting in Detroit (which had, and maybe still does? one of the most beautiful temples ever built) and found himself sitting next to Henry Ford!

That's what I love about Masonry: the history. Think of George Washington, laying the cornerstone for the Capital Building. Just some cool stuff to consider brothers, and probably worth what you paid for it!

Back