The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Lubrication

erikag

Shave Newbie
Between using a cartridge razor that has a lubrication strip and a cordless foil shaver in the shower with gel or foam whose cutters need to be sprayed with cleaner/lubricant which cleans and lubricates the cutters as to reduce wear, which of these lubricants will wear off more better off after finishing shaving in the shower? A cleaner shave..... overall...

I imagine the difference is negligible either would be fine with good cleaning/rinsing of the razor between shaves.

I have not used an electric/foil shaver in a LONG time but my expereince was that I only got a reasonably close shave if I shaved dry with "shaving powder" applied to the face. I had an electric floating head shaver that was water proof but never took it in the shower or used a shaving soap/cream/foam. In my expereince a cartridge razor typically performs pretty well when the blade is relatively new and the lubricating soap or foam is thinner (if using canned foam or gel add some water to it to thin it out).

I would agree with @beginish that a cartridge type blade would provide the closest shave with the least effort.

100% the cart. I used one in the shower for years, just using shower gel for lube. It was fine, maybe not a clean or enjoyable as when I moved to a DE and shaving soap, but it was very quick and efficient.
Like others have said, and electric just won't get as close, and they tend to frequently pull the hairs, so it's not so nice either.

I used electric razor before I came to de/straight world. Lectric shave provides pretty good lubrication for the razor to the point you can hear the RPM rise. I don't know the nature of the lubrication, but can't help but wonder what strange magic are contained within that bottle. It does seem to be soluble with (at least in my experience) Old Spice.

Back