The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations -Ayurvedic Shampoo Bar with Brahmi Bhringraj Hibiscus Shikakai Amla Reetha & Neem

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
Yesterday I received my shipment of LNHC's Ayurvedic Shampoo Bar with Brahmi Bhringraj Hibiscus Shikakai Amla Reetha & Neem. Last night and this morning I had an opportunity to use it. While it is to early to provide feedback on its long term benefits (if any) I have a good idea of how things will go based on two uses.

Being a Shampoo bar, this is something of a niche product and one that many might overlook. I hope my intitial review help someone decide to buy (or not).

Appearance and scent: The bar is a dark brown with no design or frills, just a stamped logo on the surface (which is kinda of cool if you ask me). I am going to say that although this bar is unscented it still has a natural scent resulting from what it contains. The scent/smell is not exciting at all but it isn't horrible either...just a raw herbal scent.

Bubbles and suds: After wetting my head I grabbed the brand new bar and rubbed it on my hair. After two, maybe three back and forths I had plenty of soap on my hair to make a head full of suds. The bubbles were substantial but not dense like a shave soap. I dare say the bubble type and texture are perfect for shampooing but also exactly what I want for washing my entire body. After giving my head the old "scrubby hands" for 30 seconds I was able to use the lather to wash my face and upper body as well. When I used the bar again this morning I had the same experience, quick to "load" and lather, and wonderful for the face and body.

Post lather rinse: The soap washes away clean and easy leaving my hair and scalp feeling clean but not overly so. Not so clean as to feel stripped and not so slick as to feel overly conditioned...right in the middle. This stuff is definitely made for hair.

Post shower feel and hair manageability: This is where this shampoo bar shines (pun intended). My hair was visually shiny and felt soft to the touch. Both last night and this morning I styled my hair to confirm manageability but this morning I added Notalgic Pomade to hold it in place. On both occasions my heair felt more manageable. Since my head has been progressively turning grey I have struggled with the changes in hair texture that result in random cow-licks and "wings" that won't lay flat. ....not today.

Price and value: This bar will run you between $9 and $10 plus shipping. Assuming you only buy one bar I figure the shipping will be almost $4, making your total purchase price $13-$14. The 4.5 ounce bar is dense and seems as if it will last a very long time provided I keep it dry between uses (a typical recommendation with any artisanal soap). As thrifty as my wife is,she buys the best soap she can for her hair and it costs avery bit of $13-$14 if not more. Her bottles last quite a long time but I doubt they will last longer than my shampoo bar.

Overall thoughts: So far I am impressed and happy with this shampoo bar. The scent of the natural ingredients when sniffed from the bar is reminiscent of the time I made soap with olive oil (this soap has no olive oil), a little on the unappealing side. Once applied to the hair and lathered I detect no scent at all. The take away here is not to smell the soap when you get it and think OMG this stuff stinks, it won't when you use it. The post rinse and styling are noticeably better than what I have been using (random shave soap left overs and pucks of CBL "shampoo" bars). I can't say with confidence how or if all the good stuff in this shampoo will impact my semi-chronic dandruff but early indications are that it isn't hurting (By this time of day I will have an oily or flakey head if I use a poor quality soap). While spending $10 or more on a shampoo bar was hard for me to consider, I am now thinking I was unreasonably concerned about the price to value ratio. If this bar lasts 6-8 weeks and continues to perform as It seems to be, i will consider it a steal.

What next? I will continue to use this shampoo bar and report back if it is maintaining my current condition or improving it. I will also try to make note of the rate of consumption. ...and I will see if I can get my wife to try it more than once and get her thoughts.

Based on early testing this one looks like a "must have" for anyone who has been looking for something better for their hair and scalp.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I also received a sample of Lisa's body soap. The fragrance is "rainforest" and it is awesome smelling. I will give it a test and report back. The test will need to wait, for now I am just going to let the scent linger in my bathroom.

HERE is a link to what I just reviewed

Really awesome review. I want to try this also.

I have tried a lot of shampoo bars and there are a lot of bad ones out there. But this one sounds awesome!

Thanks Chris. I have some similar issues you mentioned in another thread and am going to give this a shot when get a chance to order.

Really awesome review. I want to try this also.

I have tried a lot of shampoo bars and there are a lot of bad ones out there. But this one sounds awesome!
Fortunately i have never tried a bad one, even the pathetic excuses for shampoo bars I made weren't bad. I am not kidding, I really enjoyed the last two washes. I wash my hair twice a day because of the way my scalp behaves, either this stuff will change that or prove to be able to be used twice a day (or not), in either case the outlook loos good. I got my two bars, go ahead and make a mass order.

Great review on this Chris! I'll have to look into this, as I just changed over to shampoo bars instead of gel. might be just what the Dr. ordered.

I'm a firm believer that with better ingredients you get a better product. That sounds exactly what Lisa is trying to do here. Definitely a must try! Good stuff Chris!

I've tried shampoo bars in the past, but was disappointed in how quickly I burned through them. About 2-3 weeks, is all I could get. My $4 bottle of Pinaud Clubman shampoo lasts me a good 6 months.

I've tried shampoo bars in the past, but was disappointed in how quickly I burned through them. About 2-3 weeks, is all I could get. My $4 bottle of Pinaud Clubman shampoo lasts me a good 6 months.
That is shocking with the amount of hair you sport............now where is that poking emogi at??

I may have to try this when my 3 bottles of Dove men +care is gone. Could be a year or more though.

Just thought I’d update my review now that I’ve been using this shampoo bar for a couple weeks. Since my first use I skipped a few days because I was camping, so I’ve used it about 18-19 days out of the last 24. I usually wash my hair twice a day so that I can keep the undesirable flakes and irritation at bay. Since starting the LNHC shampoo I have not needed to do this as much (after about 10 days of use) but I still wash twice a day most days. This means the soap has had about 30 latherings (maybe more but i’m Being conservative here) since it was first used. The only other bit of info that is important to share is that I put the soap In a soap holder/bag are of some sort of cotton like material (not the synthetic plastic soap bag Chad recommended). I did this so I could hang it to dry between uses.

The bar of soap has better than half remaining, in fact it “feels” like it has about 3/4 remaining. The cotton bag thing is NOT the best choice for a shampoo bar and it changed the way I have to use it. The cotton thing is like a weaved scrubby that would be better used for body soap. To use the soap I have to wet it and let it sit for a minute before I lather on my head. Once the scrubby is hydrated everything works fine. I can lather for a short period and have a nice lather or I can go on and on and have a full head of lather. In either case I get clean hair and scalp...the cotton scrubby adds a unique exfoliating action should I choose to use it.

At this point I am happy with the experience, the results and the longevity of the bar. I don’t think the scrubby thing has done much to extend the longevity, of anything it may have resulted in a little more soap being lost to the cotton. The natural smell I spoke of early on has mellowed making the bar essentially odorless. I’ll get in again to give a update as the bar is closer to being used up...for now I stick by my recommendation...get this soap if you are looking for a good shampoo bar.

Awesome and on my mental order list. Thanks for this review Chris as I need it for the same reasons as you and was waiting for your feedback.

Time for another check in.... I started using this bar on July 10, with relatively few exceptions I have used it every day, most days twice a day. Within the first 10 days I put it in a woven cloth like soap saver which looking back was rather unnecessary. I might even say the woven bag thing is a BAD choice. I still have a chunk of soap in the bag that is about the size of two matchbooks stacked on eachother. I suspect things will go faster from here but as it stands I have gotten pretty much 2 months of twice a day use out of this bar so the longevity is there. At $8 a bar for 2 months use it might still be more expensive than a simple bottle of shampoo, but using it twice a day means it's like 4 months of once a day. The value is there.

How does it work? The lather is less voluminous and thick than that created by a handful of liquid shampoo but more than a simple bar soap. The lather is effective at doing its job without ever becoming drying or appearing to damage my hair in any way. I struggle with icky head syndrome and this bar was initially very effective at keeping it at bay. During the heat of the summer I had a few more incidences of icky head that might well be attributed to my choice in pomade. The soap didn't "cure" me of icky head but it has helped.

As I near the end of my first bar I am prepared to make an official call. As far as artisan bars of soap of any kind go this one has a clear benefit and value. I think I paid $8 but that may have been a sale price. Bottom line, if you are looking for an artisan made shampoo bar this is one to consider. Even though it has a scent, it is a natural herbal type scent that is nearly undetectable. I will defer to Lisa in terms of describing the benefits of each ingredient, I don't have a clue there.

I had the chance to try a sliver of Lisa's bath soap and enjoyed it very much. It was well scented and had a good lather. THIS shampoo bar is NOT at all the same, she didn't just make a soap and call it a shampoo, they are distinctly different. I include this observation for those who might ask or wonder, the fact one is different from the other is not intended as a negative.

Ok, this will be my final entry as a review of this shampoo bar. The bar finally died a week or two ago, it definitely lasted a long time BUT I would say putting it in the cloth like soap saver bag is a definite no-go. Had I not had it in the bag the lather would have been more rich and abundant and the bar would have lasted a couple weeks less (still a long lasting soap bar).

In terms of scent, the bar can have an odd odor at times but for the most part is it a neutral smell. As a simple shampoo bar it definitely does the job. As a treatment for itchy scalp or seborrheic dermatitis it is a little more hit and miss, but mostly hit. I say this because I continued to have occasional flare-ups while using the soap but they were not as bad as they might have been. When the shampoo bar ran out 2 weeks ago I started using a simple homemade shampoo bar (a clean and basic soap I made myself). My hair remained happy (until I had most of it inadvertently removed by an overzealous clipper mad beautician) but my scalp quickly dried and eventually a flare up was upon me. It is typical this time of year for me to get this kind of flare up so I wasn't too surprised. About 3-4 days ago I started using my second LHNC bar and within one day my scalp had calmed down and was no longer dry. This is not an exaggeration. I am enjoying the bar WITHOUT a soap saver and plan to continue to do so.

Lisa can not make any claims about the potential therapeutic benefits of athe soap with an extraordinarily long name but I can. Is it prescription strength help for a major flare up? No. Is it a solid preventative measure? Yes. Is it capable of resolving routine flare-ups of scalp goo? It would appear so.

I am pretty confident in saying, if you were considering a shampoo bar this is one to try. Even if you aren't prone to scalp issues this bar does a good job of cleaning without being overly harsh and it lasts plenty long. The only drawback to this bar is its lack of scent, if you want a scented bar this one isn't the one for you.

Respectfully submitted....
CBLindsay

I wanted it to work for me but had major itching from it. Stopped and itching lessoned. Went back to head n shoulders although I hate the latherability of it. Frustrating

I just finished a bar today. And I really enjoyed it. Scent was there but nothing to write home about. Overall the LNHC shampoo bar is a good product. I didn't notice any crazy improvements to the scalp issues that I have but it didn't make it worse either like some shampoos do.

I really liked the Lisa's Aduvardic Shampoo Bar at first, and Love Lisa's Natural products as a whole. This stuff is Loaded with botanicals and herbal ingredients making it fairly unique (there are a few other shampoo bars with similar properties but not many) but as mentioned the scent is nothing special but non offensive.

After using a full bar, i have noticed that in the long run it didnt help with my dandruff/dry scalp. This is unfornuate since i really wanted to like this product. My scalp condition is annoying and have only found 2 products that help (prescription Selenium Sulfide, Siliski Body Bar) the Siliski Body Bar is not advertised as a shampoo bar, but is loaded with cocoa butter and skin food. The Floral Bouquet scent is light but plesent, have been absolutely blown away by this stuff as it is the only non-perscription product that has helped with skin issues.

I really liked the Lisa's Aduvardic Shampoo Bar at first, and Love Lisa's Natural products as a whole. This stuff is Loaded with botanicals and herbal ingredients making it fairly unique (there are a few other shampoo bars with similar properties but not many) but as mentioned the scent is nothing special but non offensive.

After using a full bar, i have noticed that in the long run it didnt help with my dandruff/dry scalp. This is unfornuate since i really wanted to like this product. My scalp condition is annoying and have only found 2 products that help (prescription Selenium Sulfide, Siliski Body Bar) the Siliski Body Bar is not advertised as a shampoo bar, but is loaded with cocoa butter and skin food. The Floral Bouquet scent is light but plesent, have been absolutely blown away by this stuff as it is the only non-perscription product that has helped with skin issues.
I had similar results and issues as you SW. I need to try the Siliski Body Bar now I quess. Wonder if scent makes a difference?

Back