The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Let's talk Serums and Elixirs, etc...

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
I am an aftershave junkie. But my focus is primarily on alcohol based splashes. I love a good bracing splash! I do have a few balms, but I do not really enjoy using them. Most just feel like watered down lotion. But now that it's winter and my skin is a little drier..... and as I'm getting older, I know my skin could use some more "skin food", I'm looking for a little bit more. I know there's a little bit of talk here and there about these new products that aren't splashes but also aren't really balms, and their focus is mainly on hydration and healing.... and other skin longevity benefits.

So I'm looking for some some discussion on what products you have used, and what you like and don't like about them. I've heard of a few.... (A&E Post Shave Serum, LNHC Post Shave Elixir, Dragonsbead Skin Food, Via Barberia After Shave Serum, etc.....) but I have no experience with any of them. Looking for info on these and other similar products and your recommendations. Thanks!!

I highly recommend PAA's Star Jelly. I use it first after my shave and then apply a splash after it's absorbed. Samples are only $1.95. Get some and see if it's for you.

I dunno, I use Nivea alcohol free post shave balm when I want a lotiony type of thing. But it's not an elixir or serum. I know this because it doesn't say it on the bottle. But I'm not sure what makes something one of those. I used to have Via Barberia After Shave Serum on my "to buy" list to try out, but mostly because I thought it looked cool and some experienced dudes used it.

Because, reasons.
I've gone back and forth with the same reasons myself. But ultimately I agree and support your reasons. This thread isn't about that so I'll throw in my two cents...

I'm not super sure how to describe the Sebum Purple I have. I just looked on their website and the only ingredient that I could find is jojoba oil, everything else is a complete mystery of anti-aging stuff, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and essential oils. It takes a while for it to soak into my skin and it's kinda oily (duh) until my skin absorbs everything. I don't mind it too much, but I can see how it turns people off.

I'm also super skeptical of the product and what the artisan says it does, but dermatology isn't of key importance for my job and it really doesn't interest me too much so I haven't researched any of the claims. YMMV?????

Anyone used GFT Coral Skin Food or Essence of Limes Skin Food? Not sure if I could do Coral, as I don't' care for rose scents, but maybe the lime.

Just this morning I had a pretty good shave.... then I applied my splash and wow, the burn. I immediately followed it up with the Nivea Sensitive. That helped. But man, this winter is killing my skin. And I don't notice how dry it is until I apply my aftershave. That's why I'm really looking at some deep moisturizing stuff.

Anyone used GFT Coral Skin Food or Essence of Limes Skin Food? Not sure if I could do Coral, as I don't' care for rose scents, but maybe the lime.

Just this morning I had a pretty good shave.... then I applied my splash and wow, the burn. I immediately followed it up with the Nivea Sensitive. That helped. But man, this winter is killing my skin. And I don't notice how dry it is until I apply my aftershave. That's why I'm really looking at some deep moisturizing stuff.
I have the Coral Skin food. It's good stuff. Feels very soothing on my skin but it's tacky as well. Not a bad thing. Reminds me of corn huskers lotion.

I love the dragonsbeard skin food solash but t don't consider it a balm. I don't live ke balms but sometimes due to age and weather need one. I had tried A&E post shave serum and @LNHC post shave elixir unscented. I sold the A&E and bought a backup of Lisa's is all I can say 😎

How did I miss the first anniversary? I've been here since nearly the beginning.
I had tried A&E post shave serum and @LNHC post shave elixir unscented.
Definitely both on my watch list. Can you tell me what you liked and didn't like about each? I wanted to buy your A&E Elixir, but it sold before I could get in on it.

Definitely both on my watch list. Can you tell me what you liked and didn't like about each? I wanted to buy your A&E Elixir, but it sold before I could get in on it.
To me and my skin the A&E just didn't seem to absorb into the skin as well. Lisa's also seemed like it was better food for my skin.

I normally use a regular balm (Soap Commander) when needed, but I have wondered about serums too.

Sri from Wholly Kaw is all into skin care products & has some serums & stuff in the $45--$65 range which I'm sure are quality products, but too pricey for me right now.

I've used a lot of different aftershave products, and it has been really tough to find any one that is effective against my dry skin, but also doesn't lay on top of it and make it feel greasy. Some of that has to do with the amount used, like SV aftershaves. There is a very fine line(for me at least) between them being effective and using too much. I've used GFT Skin Food as well, and also noted how tacky it left my face feeling. Sudsy Soapery balms have worked well, but they have the tendency to leave a slightly greasy feel. Proraso balms just don't work all that well for me.

Via Barberia post aftershave serum is one of my favorites, but sometimes even it isn't enough in winter. LNHC post shave elixir is probably the best single product that I've used yet. It doesn't take long to soak in and leaves my skin feeling great.

My skin is a pain to keep happy so you'd probably have better experiences with a lot of the other ones mentioned. It's also true that everyone's skin is different, so I'd suggest getting samples if you can, and just trying some out. I'd be happy to send you samples of the ones that I have if you'd like. PM me and I'll give you a list of what I've got in the den that might qualify.

I'm a little late to the party. But my favorite balm is the Aqua Velva balm. I actually apply it as a face lotion every night. And usually travel with it as well. I have gone through about 4 tubes since it was release I think 2 years ago now.

I'm a little late to the party. But my favorite balm is the Aqua Velva balm. I actually apply it as a face lotion every night. And usually travel with it as well. I have gone through about 4 tubes since it was release I think 2 years ago now.
I used it this morning. It's one of the better balms out there (that I've used). I'm just looking for somehting a little better/different.

My face needs a lot of help this time of year. I can't use alcohol based without a little something else. The stuff I use is definitely not watered down. I use either Lucky Tiger Vanishing Cream or Chatillon Lux Skin Salve. The skin salve can be a little greasy though if you aren't careful.

Looking for dermatological solutions from companies that don't have trained & degreed organic chemists is nuts. It's like asking your mechanic to solve erectile dysfunction. :rolleyes:

If you want your skin to look better at your age then you need to use acids. No, I don't mean battery or sulphuric acids. I mean salicylic, glycolic, lauric, etc., with the first two being the most common and the best. I use both salicylic & glycolic and it's taken ten years or better off my face.

Back