The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Let's talk modern adjustables

I had the Futur and gave it to my son one Christmas. Another Cristmas I bought him the stainless Rockwell set. Rich gave me an early Christmas present with the Ming Shi clone, and I have a Fat Boy that I do not like. Other than the Fatboy, the two modern adjustable I've used worked well. I do have all three plates for ATT. They sell them in sets, but you certainly do not have to purchase them this way. My go to DE is the ATT H2.

I currently have the Variant. I was surprised how much I liked it when I tried one last year, so I bought one. It's currently on reprieve from my "Sell" pile, but it may or may not make the final cut (depending on the total number of razors that I decide I want to hold).

On the 6s do you change the plate with different blades or just found the one that works for you?
At first I just left it at plate 4 but lately 5 is what I'm using daily. I don't do much switching between like some do for different passes. Karve has had my attention mostly this past wek and getting ready to try the 6s again.

Okay let's talk REAL adjustables for a brief minute. Just got this in today and already cleaned and loaded for a shave tonight:
This joins my previous Variant mod from last month.

I just kind of enjoy doing different passes on different settings and so a Rockwell or Karve just don't do it for me.

Okay let's talk REAL adjustables for a brief minute. Just got this in today and already cleaned and loaded for a shave tonight:
This joins my previous Variant mod from last month.

I just kind of enjoy doing different passes on different settings and so a Rockwell or Karve just don't do it for me.

It may not do it for you but that doesn't make them NOT adjustable.
1f60b.png
I have no need to change settings in the middle of my shaves but may adjust from one shave to another.
1f60e.png
By the way, nice razors.

It may not do it for you but that doesn't make them NOT adjustable.
1f60b.png
I have no need to change settings in the middle of my shaves but may adjust from one shave to another.
1f60e.png
By the way, nice razors.

For me I always like to take advantage of what a razor gives me. If I have a mild or aggressive razor, I change my method to take advantage of it's characteristics. In the case of adjustable razors (like the ones with numbers around the handle), the advantage is that it gives me variable aggressiveness on the fly and so I take advantage of that and dial in a higher number for the first pass, and a lower number for the other passes. The fun of shaving is finding different ways to get better shaves, which does include me one day getting a Karve. I just have to let my credit card account recover and decide which plates I want.

As you broadly define adjustables, I have three of them. I own a Rex Ambassador, a Karve (currently with guards AA through D with E & F on order), and a Rockwell 6S.

The Rex is proving to be a worthy addition. It is a really well made piece with a lot of heft to it and is smoothly adjustable. It shaves like a dream. The interesting thing about the Rex is that there were some issues in prior iterations but those bugs appear to have been worked out. I managed to jump on a group buy, reducing the high price by $69 to make buying it more palatable. The number of people who signed up was well past the amount necessary for the lowest discount. I am not sure I would have pulled the trigger at $250.

There was a whole thread on a different forum comparing the Rex with the Gibbs Adjustables, the razor upon which the Rex design appears to be based. He favored the Gibbs. The author is now going to redo the comparison with the newest Rex iteration.

I really like my Rockwell 6S. It is built like a tank and it provides great shaves. I recently took it along to Guatemala and it served me well as a travel razor. I like to change plates between passes, starting out with a more aggressive plate and moving to a more sedate choice. The one criticism I have is that it is a bit top heavy. Others complain that it is too industrial looking or that it lacks panache. I happen to like the way it looks and all I care about is that it provides a good shave (even with a little sloppy technique). I also appreciate its sturdiness which is why I chose it for my trip to Guatemala. I would be less inclined to choose the Karve or the Rex as a travel razor.

I also really like the Karve. This is a well-machined razor which is purpose-built--it is well-balanced and provides great shaves. It also happens to be a very good looking razor with its guilloche pattern cut into the handle. The threading is so well done. I chose the 3.5 inch version and the grip on it is amazing. As with the Rockwell, I often change guards between passes.

As matters now stand, I am keeping and will be regularly using all three adjustables.

I have a Rockwell 6S, patiently awaiting the Model T. I also have the Variant and Parthenon.

The 6S and Variant could both vie for desert island choice. The Parthenon...I may PIF.

Had a Futur...not for me. Had a Mergress...find the Variant better.

Back