The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Let's talk modern adjustables

CVargo

“Ya… Chris, Dave, It really is my fault"
Owner
Legacy
I love DE razors. I own quite a few. Yes I do straight shave also but my DEs always call me. Probably because I have a drawer FULL of DE blades.

Anyways adjustables. I do own a Slim and owned a Fatboy but sold it. But this thread is about modern adjustables.

The Futur, Variant, QShave clones, Rockwell 6S.... etc.

I own the Variant, QShave, and the Rockwell 6S.

I honestly rate them Variant > Rockwell 6S > Qshave. I used the Rockwell the whole month of February, and spent a good portion of October (22 shaves) with the QShave. And to be honest the Variant is beating both of them by a pretty good margin at least for me.

What do you own what do you like? What are the differences for you?

I only own the Futur, as far as modern adjustables are concerned. It's a razor I really have to be in the mood to use because you cannot be off your game. The blade gap and blade exposure is such that the level of concentration required is not that far off of a straight razor. To this day, one of my worst cuts from traditional wet shaving was from the Futur on my philtrum.

Eventually, I'll end up with a Variant, Rockwell, or Mergress...and I'll have a better understanding of how other modern adjustables stack up.

I own a Qshave and it’s sole purpose and residency is my travel shave kit. I seldom travel much that I am not able to drive and most places I fly to have a drugstore or Walmart that I can pick up a useable DE blade pack cheaply enough to throw away before I leave. It is not as comfortable as a vintage adjustable but functional all the same.

I don't own not have ever used any adjustable. Mine are all boring, set on the same way every time.

Don brings up a good point. Why go adjustable when you can own multiple razors?! GENIUS!
1f61c.png
1f608.png

Oh Josh I obviously still own multiples LOL.

The only adjustable I own is a Q-Shave. Which almost all the time is loaded and set on 1 for when just a little clean-up is needed and I can tell my neck can't handle any more of the razor I'm using.

I owned the Gillettes (Slim, Fat Boy, SA short and long handles) and sold them off as they were no match for my Variant. I recently found a short handle Progress that I forgot I bought and it goes neck and neck with the Variant. I got the Chinese Futur clone before it became popular and it was not in my futur. The Rockwell I really do not consider an adjustable as much as a razor with three flippable base plate. When I shave with an adjustable, I like to change my settings with my passes. I read good things about the REX on another board which convinced me that the company is actively trying to improve their product with every new batch, and so I might consider it.

I know Rockwell just released their Model T, but have not read much about it yet (good or bad), and I know that Qshave/Weishi will be releasing an adjustable TTO soon, and so more on the horizon.

I have the Gillette’s, Fatboy, Slim, and both Supers. A Futur and a box full of clones. (Stand-by Christmas gifts) actually multiples of the Gillette’s too because the old guys at the Church bring them in for me.

So let's list them.

Merkur Futur
Ming Shi 2000
Qshave (same as Ming Shi?)
Rockwell 6S
Rockwell 6C
Parker Variant
Rex Ambassador
Rocnel Sailor Series
B&R Stainless Adjustable

Others?

BrickHud said:
So let's list them.

Merkur Futur
Ming Shi 2000
Qshave (same as Ming Shi?)
Rockwell 6S
Rockwell 6C
Parker Variant
Rex Ambassador
Rocnel Sailor Series
B&R Stainless Adjustable

Others?

Forgot the Merkur Progress and the Mergress....

Don't forget the RazoRock MJ90 from ItalianBarber, which is a nice razor.

I also own the Ming Shi 2000s, Rockwell 6C, Progress and several vintage Gillettes. They are all great, but I think my favorite right now is the Progress.

Well, if the Rockwell and RR MJ90 makes the list, shouldn't the Timeless, ATT, and Karve? I know the different base plates are ala carte, but they serve the same purpose as the Rockwell and MJ90 base plates do. Also there is the Ikon SBS and that strange Suppapart Titanium, both with flippable base plates.

It's a fair point. I'll offer two thoughts:

1. You could distinguish between (a) razors designed and sold with interchangeable or flippable base plates as part of the kit to provide all purchasers with adjustability out of the box and (b) razors for which you can find extra base plates, but for which that's not the design concept or what every purchaser gets in his box.

2. The definitional question ("Does it qualify as an adjustable?") doesn't really advance the discussion of how the various razors shave. If you want to get definitional, nearly all razors are adjustable with shims. I think we're talking here about razors that are marketed with all kits providing some level of adjustability from the factory. Better to focus on reviews of the razors than engaging in a Socratic definitional exercise.

I've never owned or used an adjustable. I bid on quite a few Slims early on, when I was trying to figure out what kind of razor suited me, but nothing ever panned out.
I'm now pretty much set on my razor and don't have much desire to even try any others... I've been disappointed too many times and nothing has dethroned my Ikon Tech. ?

I tried the Rocnel Sailor Series Adjustable for the first time this morning. Wow, what a great razor. Buttery smooth. It adjusts infinitely from 1-5, and I got a really terrific shave on Level 3.

Back