The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Leaf Twig Razor: First Impressions

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Let me start out by stating - I am not a fan of the Leaf Razor. This is not to trash the company nor anyone that likes the Leaf - I have seen many reviews people that really like them - and I can see why. I do love the concept and the innovation - it’s the implementation and the poor quality or QA (I have owned 3 - and have had to exchange 2 - and both broke again, One while my son was shaving and he cut himself badly - it was the razor, not his technique - I was with him.

The Twig, however, just may be the redemption! Where I felt the bigger brother had structural issues - this one feels quite sturdy. The smaller design also fits much more comfortably in the hand - and since it only uses 1 DE half blade - the head is much more maneuverable. Another correction, where the Leaf was quite slippery when you got your hands wet (making it difficult to shave in the shower), the Twig is much easier to grip. One disclaimer - I bought the matte black finish - I am not sure if the other finishes would still be slippery.

One very innovative part of the design is the twist to load. The head opens and then turns to the side, making it very simple to put the blade in. This version is not magnetic like its big brother, but it does have the notches to keep the blade in place as you close it.

The head does not pivot like the Leaf, but to me, this is a plus - because those pins on the Leaf are the weak point in its design.

The angle of the shave head is similar to that of the Supply razor - easy to maintain throughout the shave. It is a mild shave (depending on the blade you use), but provides the closeness you’d expect of a traditional wet shaving razor. I’d trust having my autistic son shave with it without guiding him.

Final thoughts: i was looking for a replacement for the One Blade for my son - because the blades are expensive and don’t last as long as you expect (I know you can modify GEM blades, but for my son - I want simple). The price is $59, which is on the higher end of a pot metal alloy, but seems to be quite well built (which is opposite of what I feel of is larger counterpart - I think $79 for the Leaf is overpriced by 1/2). Time will tell if the loading mechanism of the Twig will stand the test of time - but I’ll follow up with this review after a couple of weeks. All in all, I am pleased with this purchase and think it will serve my son well.

1612753094683.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess I'm not sure why one would use this over a simple DE. If you're looking for a smaller head I suppose would be a reason. But then, just get the poor guy a Vector 😀
I love my son with all my heart but there are times I am not sure Vector level of love 😂. We’ve tried DEs, but since his fine motor skills are limited, the smaller head is easier for him.

This is marketed towards the cartridge crowd though. It's a crossover razor, of sorts.
I would agree with this assessment, and have said as much in other reviews. It is an easy, semi transitional razor, that is well suited to its design.

I dig the Twig. For me, it performs just as well as most DE/SE razors with full blades.

Has decent heft, length, and is solidly built.

Far more that a crossover IMO. I’d say the Leaf and Broman classify as crossovers due to the multiple 1/2 DE blades. This is definitely a solid SE.

Blade definitely thinner than your typical injector or artist club. I’d say more of a hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Twig is a performer. Smooth, comfortable and deceptively efficient. Dices up whiskers quite nicely. Stirling’s Gin & Tonic is an excellent face chiller especially in 80+ degree weather. Almost took a swig of the splash....

View attachment 52703
Is that the Twig or the thorn? Curious which you are getting stellar shaves from.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Ummm, I mentioned the Twig in the post. Second word actually. I know, it's almost Friday..... ;)
Well, technically the Thorn is a 'Twig-thorn'... ala, Still a Twig.

I didn't know for sure if you were shortening the name or it was actually the original. Still, it was almost Friday and a rough day at that. So we can use that excuse.

If it works that well for you, that's good enough for me. I ordered the Twig yesterday. Very excited to give it a go.

c12c477f3a6c37d380446cb3d79cfa11.jpg

Well, technically the Thorn is a 'Twig-thorn'... ala, Still a Twig.

I didn't know for sure if you were shortening the name or it was actually the original. Still, it was almost Friday and a rough day at that. So we can use that excuse.

If it works that well for you, that's good enough for me. I ordered the Twig yesterday. Very excited to give it a go.

c12c477f3a6c37d380446cb3d79cfa11.jpg

Thursdays are always tough. It's the day before Friday we're almost all running on vapors... 😉

Anyways, congrats on the purchase. The Twig is quite capable in giving a real nice easy shave. Great for lining up those sideburns and in working under the nose and stache area. I went with a different blade(s) than the one's issued with the kit. They aren't bad but, I get better shave quality and results with the aftermarket blades. Use your favorite blade and go from there. I think you'll be surprised at the results you get with the Twig. The Thorn just offers a wider gap + span which makes it a bit more aggressive. I assume it was produced for thicker beard growth and for those that wanted a bit more blade feel. I'm debating on acquiring the Thorn as the Twig was quite good. And for the money, it's not a bad deal.

Enjoy and look forward to your shave thoughts on it. Please post.

Happy shaves amigo..... 👍

Thursdays are always tough. It's the day before Friday we're almost all running on vapors...

Anyways, congrats on the purchase. The Twig is quite capable in giving a real nice easy shave. Great for lining up those sideburns and in working under the nose and stache area. I went with a different blade(s) than the one's issued with the kit. They aren't bad but, I get better shave quality and results with the aftermarket blades. Use your favorite blade and go from there. I think you'll be surprised at the results you get with the Twig. The Thorn just offers a wider gap + span which makes it a bit more aggressive. I assume it was produced for thicker beard growth and for those that wanted a bit more blade feel. I'm debating on acquiring the Thorn as the Twig was quite good. And for the money, it's not a bad deal.

Enjoy and look forward to your shave thoughts on it. Please post.

Happy shaves amigo.....
Well, Ive now had two shaves with the Twig...

First off, I'm shocked at how much blade feel you get from it. I was expecting something super mild, like a DE89. This is more medium aggression, plus blade feel. It definitely cuts well, I got an easy clean-cut shave in my first outing. The second run through was a bit more painful. Not sure if the face was having an off day, or if the soap was irritating me... But halfway through I switched up to my Henson to finish the shave.

Hopefully it's better tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Well, Ive now had two shaves with the Twig...

First off, I'm shocked at how much blade feel you get from it. I was expecting something super mild, like a DE89. This is more medium aggression, plus blade feel. It definitely cuts well, I got an easy clean-cut shave in my first outing. The second run through was a bit more painful. Not sure if the face was having an off day, or if the soap was irritating me... But halfway through I switched up to my Henson to finish the shave.

Hopefully it's better tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

It can be a bit tricky on the first 2 or 3 shaves. It doesn't quite feel like a de type shave nor does it come close to an injector type shave neither but, it's closer to a de in practice and shave results. A minor adjustment or tweak in your shave angle will improve results. It's still easy to use and intuitive so the adjustment is extremely minor.

I also think that a better quality blade will increase the smoothness and overall shave results. I ordered some Crown half blades (100 for $3.99 on a daily special) from Italian Barber and they work extremely well over their standard issue blade from Leaf, Astra's I believe. I only got 2 decent shaves out of the Leaf blades. With the Crown it's at least 4-5 shaves. Gillete Platinum are great in the Twig. I'm up for trying a Feather soon.

If you'd like to try a few Crown blades, just pm me and I'll get a few out to you. Your choice....

Good luck with your Twig & upcoming shaves.

The ergonomics of the head design make it SUPER Maneuverable and easy to get on the neck especially the guys with the east to west growth patterns like me

Back