The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Lather building

wayne1963

Jr. Shave Member
I've come across a new (to me) way of lather building. Unscrew the cap from your soap and fill it with hot water. Pour the water on the soap, replace cap and shake about twenty seconds. Pour frothy water and soap mix into a container and set aside. Now, load your brush as always, but use the froth to add water to the mix. This is done in lieu of adding water from the faucet. The resulting lather is very dense and super hydrated. If your soap is not in a capped container, just put about two brush loads of water on it, and stir with brush for twenty seconds. Maybe this is old news, and I'm late to the party! Anyway, it makes for a great shave.

Cool that it works for you! I do remember seeing that pop here a while ago. A few of the gents tried it to varied success (or lack of). I don’t think it caught on 😂

I tried that twice about a year ago. Both times I ruined my soap. The scent went away and it started turning funny colors and smelled horrible. Had to throw it away. If it works for you then don’t let anybody stop you. For me, I’d be worried about water getting into crevices where it can’t dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool that it works for you! I do remember seeing that pop here a while ago. A few of the gents tried it to varied success (or lack of). I don’t think it caught on 😂
Chris, I know what you are referring to, and that isn't the technique Wayne is talking about here. @Doug Bear did not load off the puck, he was only building lather with the froth.

Wayne, with out the shaking and froth building, this is pretty much what I do, most of the time. When I enter my bathroom in the morning, I put my brush in a bowl to soak, and I also put a thin layer of water on top of my soap. Then I shower. Afterwards, I dump out the water from my soak bowl, and pour the water off the soap into that bowl, and that is the water I use to add water to my lather.

Chris, I know what you are referring to, and that isn't the technique Wayne is talking about here. @Doug Bear did not load off the puck, he was only building lather with the froth.

Wayne, with out the shaking and froth building, this is pretty much what I do, most of the time. When I enter my bathroom in the morning, I put my brush in a bowl to soak, and I also put a thin layer of water on top of my soap. Then I shower. Afterwards, I dump out the water from my soak bowl, and pour the water off the soap into that bowl, and that is the water I use to add water to my lather.
You explained it better than my convoluted post!

Back