The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Keto Fat burning question

The Monkey

"I See the Good in Every Shave"
Legacy
Okay I am in Ketosis, which means that my body is burning fats and not carbs....great. Now the question: since I am eating fat how do I know if I'm burning food fat or body fat?

In ketosis your body is burning the bodies stored fat...BUT, ketones in your urine do not necessarily mean you are “in ketosis”. If you are indeed in ketosis your body should be burning it’s own stored fats for energy first. That said, some types of dietary fats can not be stored and must also be burned (you eat too many of these types and you kick yourself out of ketosis because your caloric needs are met ...but you still show ketones in your urine). Ideally your intake of dietary fats would also be burned but in the presence of insulin dietary fats are more prone to be stored. If you are following a well balanced keto diet you can achieve maximum burn of dietary and stored fats, but the body is geared to always have a ‘storage-release cycle’ .

Did you calculate your macros? Is your calorie intake in between your BMR and TDEE? If so, you’ll be burning body fat by default.

But I’ve also read, and don’t fully understand it, that you could overeat on your fat intake by double and still burn body fat. Things work different when you’re fat adapted. In ketosis, your body does not store the fat that you eat.

And I agree with Chris, just because there’s ketones in your urine, doesn’t mean you’re in ketosis. Those pee strips aren’t really reliable for keto, that’s not what they are meant for. A blood meter is the most accurate measure of ketones for keto.

Okay I am in Ketosis, which means that my body is burning fats and not carbs....great. Now the question: since I am eating fat how do I know if I'm burning food fat or body fat?
I have the baby in my arms right now so I will have a more detailed answer later. But dietary fat generally is not stored as fat. Of course overconsumption of any thing isn't good. On keto, your body will burn the fat around your organs first. Then other areas. Unfortunately, for most people, belly fat is burned last.

The presence of any ketones is a good thing. A lot of people don't like the pee pee strips. But when you first start keto...pee strips are pretty accurate at letting you know of you are in ketosis. But after that it's not a good measure at all.

Don't get caught up in the amount of ketones you produce. If your body is making ketones...you are burning fat.

I think the strip are a good guage and agree with everything stated, but the real steps to get to the "organ burning fats" is relatively a complex process
1. detoxify your liver that is the 1st thing that will occur, allowing you body to not be insulin resistant.
2. going on OMAD, and or OMEAD will quicken and speed up the process, but you have to work inot it slowly.. Start out at 3 meals a day for your body to adjust such as 4/4/4 and then no food after the final 4 to being the fast process
3. then move to 2 meals a day Eat every 4-5 hours but only twice and fast the remainder
4. then full on OMAdD ( One meal a day ) have a cup of black coffee in the morvning, some Apple cider vinegar, and fast until 2-3 pm, east all your macros in that time and fast the remainder, 4/20 or a varant thereof.

Your body will tell you what works and what does not. OMEAD ( one meal every other day ) can be used for weight plateaus. If you see that you are stalled this can kick it off, but it is recommended not to do OMEAD more than twice a month, however many do it all the time.

As stated above as well, KETO is not really that complicated Just follow your macros and you will be good, or have a program app such as Carb Manager do it for you, and will also set up your macros for you.

The other item, which is up for debate is a "Cheat day" There are good points to it, and not. For me if I get knocked out of Ketosis, it takes about 48-72 hours to get back in, so if you are willing to do that each week to give yourself a treat then cool, just know that it over a years time it will be between 75- 152 days of repair of rather getting a year. In my opinion KETO is not a diet, but a lifestyle change, so over time if you want to have Tamales or treat yourself, have at it, and just work on the repair for a couple of days. the argument that KETO deprives you is BUNK. You just have to change the lifestyle of sugar and carbs, and find the recipes and replacements that give you the satisfaction in foods you have had as norm

Hope that Helps

but it is recommended not to do OMEAD more than twice a month, however many do it all the time.
When I was on Diego Garcia, I maintained it for 3 weeks and felt amazing. Even did a few full 2 day fasts eating the third day.

As I’ve said before, not eating for a day or two and realizing that your body does just fine without food for a couple days is amazing. We often run our life’s schedules around when we eat. Breaking this food driven schedule is enlightening.

Back