The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Keto debunked?

Not sure the link went to where you intended it to go.

However, there are a lot of naysayers out there about Keto. That's okay. Nutrition research is about as bad as research can be. A lot of people with agendas and they rarely apply the scientific method. That being said...I think there is enough evidence out there (credible research) that suggests that a Ketogenic Diet is healthy in at least a portion of the population. I honestly would never tell a completely perfectly healthy person to go on a Ketogenic Diet. However, keto is great as a therapeutic tool for a lot of conditions...Alzheimer's, diabetes, traumatic brain injuries, autoimmune diseases, weight loss, etc, etc, etc.

All that being said...People can yell at me until they are blue in their face that keto is unhealthy. But I KNOW it works! At least for me. So all the naysayers can eat a bacon wrapped cream cheese stuffed jalapeno!

You posted a page, not an article.
Sorry was on my phone and it didn't do what I wanted:

Actually I was just stirring the pot. It seems that NutritionFacts is very anti-keto. They have several videos linked farther down the page.

Got about two minutes into it and had to stop...

If you are a Professional Athlete or competitive CrossFit Athlete then maybe keto isn't for you...Maybe. But if you are the average person trying to get healthy...then consider it if you have certain issues or want to prevent certain issues. I know plenty of people who do CrossFit and are on Keto. I know plenty of weightlifters that build muscle on Keto. I know you are stirring the pot John...and I like new information...even if it does oppose my own views. But this video is disingenuous at best. They show you just parts of studies and they don't show you what the study was made up of. What version of Keto did they test. Was it an animal only study or was it done on people. Long term or short term. Was their idea of keto "if it fits the macros" or was it good quality food. What confounders were listed. WHO PAID FOR THE STUDY!!!! Most of these studies are paid for by either Big Food or Big Pharma...can someone say "conflict of interest?" This is a perfect example of someone showing only data that proves their point. It's hard for me to take it serious.

Sorry John...I know you posted in jest.

Got about two minutes into it and had to stop...

If you are a Professional Athlete or competitive CrossFit Athlete then maybe keto isn't for you...Maybe. But if you are the average person trying to get healthy...then consider it if you have certain issues or want to prevent certain issues. I know plenty of people who do CrossFit and are on Keto. I know plenty of weightlifters that build muscle on Keto. I know you are stirring the pot John...and I like new information...even if it does oppose my own views. But this video is disingenuous at best. They show you just parts of studies and they don't show you what the study was made up of. What version of Keto did they test. Was it an animal only study or was it done on people. Long term or short term. Was their idea of keto "if it fits the macros" or was it good quality food. What confounders were listed. WHO PAID FOR THE STUDY!!!! Most of these studies are paid for by either Big Food or Big Pharma...can someone say "conflict of interest?" This is a perfect example of someone showing only data that proves their point. It's hard for me to take it serious.

Sorry John...I know you posted in jest.
Not totally in jest but the title was certainly click bait. The other video he keeps referring to children (who obviously have totally different needs)

I do think it is important so hear other views though.

I do think it is important so hear other views though.
Completely agree...I just want opposing views to be honest in their assessment. To say that Keto is bad means that Keto is bad for everyone. The fact of the matter is that Diets that restrict carbohydrates that are actually contributed to a name have been around since the mid 1800s (see Banting Diet). The only reason diets that restrict carbohydrates are controversial today is some REALLY "bad science" that came out of the 40s, 50s, and 60s by a man named Ancel Keys that conducted clinical research that would be considered unethical today. Research that he conducted was found recently (last ten years or so) that actually went against his "original" findings. He didn't have the works published because it didn't fit his hypothesis. I suck at science, but what I do know is that the Scientific Method goes something like this:

1. Make an observation.
  2. Ask a question.
  3. Form a hypothesis, or testable explanation.
  4. Make a prediction based on the hypothesis.
  5. Test the prediction.
  6. Use the results to make new hypotheses or predictions.

It doesn't say...Test Prediction and if the outcome is different than your hypothesis, then disregard the data.

If interested...Read the book "The Big Fat Surprise" by Nina Teicholz. It is a VERY well sourced book. Pretty easy to read also. Okay....off my soap box...for now... 🤪

I suck at science, but what I do know is that the Scientific Method goes something like this:

1. Make an observation.
  2. Ask a question.
  3. Form a hypothesis, or testable explanation.
  4. Make a prediction based on the hypothesis.
  5. Test the prediction.
  6. Use the results to make new hypotheses or predictions.
That's actually a pretty good explanation of it...I think you could have added.
7. Test new hypothesis / predictions.
8. Continue steps 1-8 until you reach #9
9. Draw conclusions.

Anything that get's people minding their weight is good with me. If I had to pick low carb vs low fat, for most low carb is the better option. Too few of fats can cause certain health issues.

Of course, sometimes our relationship with our dieting method can get a little 'preachy', but I think that comes with getting into anything new and exciting.

The truth is most diets fail when they end and all the weight is put back on, and then some. That's the biggest thing by far to watch out for, and again just due to it's limited options, Keto very well could make the post diet more successful as well. I'm not really up to speck on keto, would be interesting to know the long term outcomes.

At the end of the day, if it's aint broke don't fix it. If it's working for you great!

If keto isn't for you (and I don't think it is for most) then that's not big deal, because it's really about calorie restriction, and finding a sustainable way to do it. Keto is an option, one of many.

Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information, therefore fact checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.
  • Overall, we rate NutritionFacts.org a moderate Pseudoscience source due to exaggerated health claims.

Back